The CBC Spouses Education Scholarship is our general scholarship and is also our largest. This scholarship does not have a specific major requirement, and is open to full-time students of all academic fields.
To be eligible for the CBC Spouses Education Scholarship, applicants must:
• Be a full-time undergraduate or graduate degree-seeking student at an accredited college or university OR a current high school senior preparing to become a full-time undergraduate degree-seeking student at an accredited college or university
• Have a permanent address in or go to school in a CBC member district (Find your Representative here and then see if they are a current member of the CBC)
• Have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
• Exhibit leadership ability and participate in community service activities
• Preference given to African Americans
May 22, 2015
The completed online application must be submitted by close of business (5 p.m. EST) on May 22, 2015. The additional required materials must be received by our office by the close of business (5 p.m. EST) on the deadline date. The following items will be requested through the online application:
1. Completed application form
2. Personal statement essay from the student (500-1,000 words) that addresses all four (4) of the topics listed on the application in one cohesive essay
3. Two (2) letters of recommendation. One recommendation should come from a community or public service leader (i.e. church leader, community leader, volunteer organization). Email addresses will be requested of each recommender for their electronic submission. Hard copy letters will not be accepted
4. Copy of detailed Federal Student Aid Report (SAR); this report comes from the US Department of Education, not your institution, and is typically 5 pages long
5. A resume of no more than 3 pages listing extracurricular activities, honors, employment, community service and special skills
6. A recent photograph suitable for publication; i.e., a cap and gown picture, or other professional quality and professionally dressed photograph
*PLEASE NOTE: Our online application has two parts. The first is the general application which collects materials relevant for all of our programs. Once you have completed and submitted this portion, you will be brought to a section showing all opportunities for which you may be eligible. This second part is where you can see and answer opportunity-specific questions for each scholarship/internship/etc., such as personal statements, additional references, artwork samples, essay questions, etc.
Additional Required Materials
All the above documents should be submitted through the online application. The following two documents are to be mailed to the organization. We must receive these documents before the deadline date:
1. Current high school seniors must provide proof of enrollment (such as an acceptance letter) into a college/university for 2015-2016.
2. Official sealed transcripts from all institutions attended. As colleges/universities will only have one semester of grades recorded for college freshmen, these students must also submit high school transcripts in order to show a history of their grades.
These two documents should be mailed to the following address:
CBC Spouses Education Scholarship
Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc.
1720 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036