The CBC Spouses Heineken USA Performing Arts Scholarship was established in 2000. This highly competitive scholarship was developed in honor of the late performing artist Curtis Mayfield and provides financial assistance to students pursuing performing arts careers. Each year, scholarships are awarded to gifted and talented students who want to pursue careers in music, drama and other arts vocations.
Up to $3,000 each for up to 10 students.
To be eligible for the CBC Spouses Heineken USA Performing Arts Scholarship, applicants must:
• Be a full-time undergraduate degree-seeking student at an accredited college or university OR a current high school senior preparing to become a full-time undergraduate degree-seeking student at an accredited college or university
• Be pursuing a major in the performing arts (such as, but not limited to, drama, music, dance, opera, marching bands and other musical ensembles)
• Plan to enter a career in the performing arts
• Demonstrate talent or potential in your chosen art
• Have a minimum 2.5 GPA
• Exhibit leadership ability and participate in community service activities
May 1, 2015
The completed online application must be submitted by close of business (5 p.m. EST) on May 1, 2015. The additional required materials must be received by our office by the close of business (5 p.m. EST) on the deadline date. The following items will be requested through the online application:
1. Completed online application form
2. Personal statement essay from the student (500-1,000 words) that addresses all four (4) of the topics listed on the application in one cohesive essay
3. Two (2) letters of recommendation. One recommendation should come from a community or public service leader (i.e. church leader, community leader, volunteer organization). Recommender information (name and email address) is to be entered into the online application as requested. Please follow the instructions found in the application. Hard copy letters sent to the organization as well as letters sent to the scholarship email address will not be accepted.
4. Electronic copy of detailed Federal Student Aid Report (SAR); this report comes from the US Department of Education, not your institution. It is typically 5 pages long-this must be uploaded to the online application as a PDF document
5. A resume of no more than 3 pages listing extracurricular activities, honors, employment, community service, and special skills
6. Recent photograph suitable for publication; i.e., a cap and gown picture, or other professional quality and professionally dressed photograph
7. One 2-minute visual recording sample. Applicant must be easily identified and file must be saved in a format playable on Windows Media Player-submissions that cannot be reviewed via Windows Media Player will not be considered
*PLEASE NOTE: Our online application has two parts. The first is the general application which collects materials relevant for all of our programs. Once you have completed and submitted this portion, you will be brought to a section showing all opportunities for which you may be eligible. This second part is where you can see and answer opportunity-specific questions for each scholarship/internship/etc., such as personal statements, additional references, artwork samples, essay questions, etc.
Additional Required Materials
All the above documents should be submitted through the online application. The following two documents are to be mailed to the organization. We must receive these documents before the deadline date:
1. Current high school seniors must provide proof of enrollment (such as an acceptance letter) into a college/university for 2015-2016.
2. Official sealed transcripts from all institutions attended. As colleges/universities will only have one semester of grades recorded for college freshmen, these students must also submit high school transcripts in order to show a history of their grades.
These two documents should be mailed to the following address:
CBC Spouses Heineken USA Performing Arts Scholarship
Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc.
1720 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036