Position Title: Accounting Manager
Department: Finance and Administration
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: July 20, 2016
I. ORGANIZATION SUMMARY:
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
II. POSITION SUMMARY:
Reporting to and partnering with the Senior Director, Finance and Administration, the Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the operational and fiscal activities of the department including internal transaction procedures and financial reporting. He/she will plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality, and efficiency of the department. The incumbent must understand, administer, and articulate all Foundation accounting policies and procedures required for operations.
III. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
A. Reports to: Senior Director, Finance and Administration.
B. Directly Supervises: None
C. Indirectly Supervises: None
D. Type of Supervision Received: Minimal supervision
E. Internal Relationships: Interact with all CBCF departments and CBCF employees.
F. External Relationships: Consultants and vendors
IV. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Essential Functions
Financial and Operational Management
- Maintain accounting controls by implementing the Foundation’s accounting policies and procedures. Ensure
compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, federal and state regulations. Monitor and analyze
the department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level
of accuracy. Recommend new and revised accounting policies, procedures and internal controls based on
evolving needs; Ensure policies and procedures are well documented and updated timely. Assist employees
with questions related to accounting procedures and practices.
- Maintain financial security by establishing internal controls and implementing improvements to internal control
systems; and incorporate recommendations made by auditors.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure. Ensure
that all financial reporting deadlines are met and financial reports are distributed timely. Ensure timely filling
of tax forms 1099 to applicable federal and local taxing authorities and also distribution of the 1099 forms to
- Work with the Senior Director of Finance and Administration to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
Compile and analyze financial information to prepare monthly and year end journal entries and post to the
general ledger accounts. Ensure an accurate and timely monthly and year end closure of books of accounts.
- Meet accounting financial objectives by forecasting requirements; scheduling expenditures; analyzing
variances; and initiating corrective actions. Maintain fixed assets record.
- Ensure timely deposit of cash and checks in the Foundation’s bank account. Ensure timely and accurate
recording of cash, checks and pledges to the Financial Edges system. Ensure timely reconciliation of bank
statements to the general ledger.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of accounts payable. Investigate any problems vendors may have
regarding payment for bills.
- Monitor and follow-up on receivables that have been outstanding for an unusually long period of time. Ensure
that revenue and accounts receivable general ledgers are reconciled to the Raiser’s Edge record monthly and at
the end of the year.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll and related employee benefits analysis including reporting to
applicable federal and local taxing authorities.
- Respond to inquiries from the Senior Director, CEO & President and other department heads regarding
finance related matters. Assist the Senior Director in the preparation of the Foundation’s annual budget.
Maintain an organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
B. Additional Functions
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and
- Complete all responsibilities for other duties and projects as assigned.
C. Required Special Skills
- Effective communication of the finance and accounting department deliverables to a variety of constituents
and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Familiarity with the federal legislative process and political environment.
- Proven project management skills and experience in designing, managing, and delivering high quality projects
- Superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats to include briefings,
reports, media articles and blogs.
V. RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY:
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Accounting Manager must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Accounting Manager.
A. Knowledge: Requires a BA/BS in Accounting or Finance with an emphasis in Accounting required; CPA preferred. Seven years prior experience in the accounting/financial reporting field. Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Experience with governmental/non-profit accounting principles and procedures. Must be PC proficient and experienced with accounting systems. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel and Word. Financial Edge software skill is preferred. Requires extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Strong verbal and written communication skills, business skills and related competencies. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required. Must possess the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced work environment with attention to detail and accuracy. The candidate must have experience dealing with specialized accounting work required to maintain the Foundation’s general ledger. Must also possess experience in preparing financial statements and coordinating an annual audit.
B. Skills and Abilities: Advanced experience using Financial Edge or similar accounting software is required. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Access, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience using Smartsheet or other project management software is helpful. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform a variety of tasks; and each essential duty satisfactorily. This position requires exceptional attention to detail; as well as precise written and oral communication skills.
C. Physical Requirements: Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast paced environment strict deadlines, and ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references until the position is filled, using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls accepted.