535 interns on Capitol Hill—that’s our goal!
Emerge 535 is the CBCF’s campaign to place 535 African-American interns on Capitol Hill.
Why do we want 535 interns on Capitol Hill?
Nearly three decades ago, the CBCF initiated our Congressional Internship program to address underrepresentation of African Americans among professional staffers on Capitol Hill. Diverse voices and experiences among Capitol Hill staff are important when making public policy decisions impacting black communities.
Emerge 535’s placement of future leaders in congressional internships will:
- Expand academic, leadership, and professional development opportunities for emerging black leaders
- Provide students with first-hand leadership experience, working with seasoned leaders of Congress and dedicated public servants
- Prepare students to be informed citizens who shape our world’s future
Why is the CBCF’s internship program one of the best in Washington, DC?
- Students graduate the Leadership Institute better informed about Congress and the public policy process.
- CBCF interns who pursue public policy careers possess institutional knowledge, practical experience and the professional skill sets needed to make a positive difference.
- Graduates of the Leadership Institute for Public Service understand and embrace the CBCF pledge: “I lead. I serve.”
535 is a lofty goal. With your support, we can reach it one intern at a time.
Let’s work together to develop 535 leaders who will make a difference on behalf of African Americans – and all Americans.
We can’t do it without you!