Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Department: Resource Development
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: April 2019
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (‘CBCF’) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) seeks an Administrative Assistant for its Resource Development Department to provide high level administrative support to the Vice President of Resource Development. The Administrative Assistant represents the Vice President as the first point of contact for internal staff, donors and supporters and is responsible for planning and coordinating all administrative functions, including managing records, documents and processes to support the successful achievement of departmental priorities.
The Administrative Assistant is essential to the Resource Development Department’s effectiveness, providing information, management support and proactively anticipating issues and needs. This role requires strong writing and computer skills as well as a high degree of integrity, versatility and the utmost level of discretion and confidentiality. The Administrative Assistant should be able to work independently to complete projects for the Vice President with limited direction. The ability to adapt to diverse and changing priorities, environments and personalities is critical to his/her success in this position.
He / she must be self-motivated, quick-thinking, flexible and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities in an efficient manner and simultaneously. He/she must be confident, reliable, and enjoy working in a fast paced environment where each day can bring a new set of priorities and demands. The ideal candidate must be professional, use initiative and good judgment, work independently but also with the RD team, and maintain confidentiality.
He / she will create systems to maintain routine functions while meeting strict deadlines; and providing administrative assistance in many of the traditional resource development projects and initiatives including fund development, fundraising activities, donor relations, and special events. The ability to adapt to diverse and changing priorities, environments and personalities is critical to his/her success in this position.
- Reports to: Vice President, Resource Development
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: N/A
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct supervision
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination specifically with the Resource & Development team, Office of the President & CEO, and related counterparts in the Research, Programs, Communications and Marketing, External Affairs and Finance & Administration Departments to administer and execute Resource Development administrative functions.
- External Relationships: CBCF Board of Directors, CBCF Donors and Supporters, Congressional offices, and executives and key staff of key organizations with whom CBCF partners, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF priorities.
- Provide administrative support, including screening phone calls, taking messages, handling correspondence and responding independently when possible.
- Maintain and organize external stakeholder contacts including updating Vice President’s contacts, stakeholder research, preparing call sheets, business card/data entry
- Receives incoming mail, routine correspondence and respond or draft letters for the Vice President’s signature
- Compose and process correspondence to external stakeholders including letters of appreciation, prospect and post event follow up from the office of the Vice President.
- Conducts routine maintenance and trouble-shooting for computer and other related equipment; serves as liaison to IT Help Desk
Budget Review & Facilitation
- Prepare budget reports in MS Excel for the Vice President
- Organize and maintain filing system for department
- Process purchase authorization requests, invoices and expenses
- Review invoices and related paperwork to ensure compliance against commitments and alignment with budget
Scheduling, Research and Preparation
- Maintain the Vice President’s calendar, making all necessary arrangements for appointments, travel, meetings to include detailed itineraries and preparing and/or providing briefing information for external meetings.
- Coordinate with members of Resource Development Team and other CBCF Departments in the preparation of speeches, letters, and talking points. Prepare Resource Development kits and presentations for meetings and events.
Operations and Special Event Support
- Assist with database management to include creating and tracking spreadsheets, data collection and research, interdepartmental and external donor services requests such answering gift inquiries and assisting with gift-related issues and preparation of reports and other documents as requested.
- Assist with onsite event management and stakeholder services including registration, and advertising and signage verification.
- Assist with administrative tasks associated with quarterly Corporate Advisory Council Meetings including assisting with meeting arrangements and preparing agendas, notices, background material, and confidential correspondence, reports, and other complex documents including CAC minutes, tracking reports, etc.
- Ability to effectively present (written and verbal) information to CBCF management and colleagues, as well as external stakeholders.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, solve practical problems and bring “new ideas” which improve and enhance productivity and department’s ability to effectively execute.
- Work collaboratively with various departments in the planning and preparation of events, programs and conferences as assigned and helps to ensure that the goals of the Resource Development department are met.
Required Special Skills
- Ability to manage complex calendaring and scheduling for senior executive and handle any related travel arrangements.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
The Incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for the organization and the incumbent.
- Knowledge: High school degree or GED required and minimum of 2 years administrative support. Bachelor’s degree from a four year college or university in related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience at a corporation, Congressional office, foundation or not-for-profit association. Strong knowledge of the Washington, DC legislative, public policy and political environment is helpful. Demonstrated interest in CBCF’s vision and mission. Experience providing administrative support for a corporation, foundation, NGO and/or charitable organization is a plus.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Highly proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and overall aptitude for technology are required. Proficiency with telecommunications devices such as Blackberry, iPhone and/or Androids preferred. Working knowledge of Raisers’ Edge 7 or donor tracking/fundraising software preferred. Familiarity with basic accounting ideal, though not required.
- Skills and Abilities: Exceptional written and oral communication skills; excellent time management, planning and organizational skills, attention to detail. Creative problem solver and results oriented; Exceptional organizational skills and work independently or as part of a team. Solid interpersonal skills using tact and patience and due diligence with the ability to build and maintain relationships with Resource Development team, members of CBCF management team and external stakeholders. Telephone techniques and courtesy are essential.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines, ability to work long hours and weekends. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities. Consistent attendance is a job requirement. Work levels tend to fluctuate with mailings, fundraising events and or quarterly Board and Corporate Advisory Council Meetings. The Administrative Assistant may carry light items, such as: reports, exhibit materials, data products, and notebooks. The ability to handle significant amount of stress is an essential function of this position.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references to CBCF’s online employment portal. The position is opened until filled. No phone calls accepted.