Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Department: Human Resources
Position Class: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Hourly
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: May 2019
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, (CBCF) Incorporated is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global Black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are education, public health, economic empowerment and the environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
CBCF is seeking a dynamic Administrative Assistant to provide support to the Senior Director, Human Resources. He or she will manage the day-to-day workflow of all administrative functions for the department while applying knowledge of policies, practices and procedures to enhance the daily functions of the team. He or she will work closely with and support the needs of the Senior Director and the department to coordinate human resources activities and staff events. Responsibilities include drafting correspondence, creating spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations and scheduling and preparing agenda and meetings materials. In addition, he/she must be a quick learner, with ability to multi-task and proficiency in MS Office including Outlook.
The Administrative Assistant plays a vital role to a small team. The incumbent will rely on past experiences and judgement to accomplish goals; and must be a mature professional with sound judgement and proven problem solving experience. The successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with internal and external contacts. High level of team work and interpersonal skills with 2-3 years of experience in a similar setting; and must possess the demonstrated ability to work with little supervision to complete work within deadlines. Experience providing support in an HR department is helpful.
- Reports to: Senior Director, Human Resources
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: N/A
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct supervision
- Internal Relationships: Close working relationship with the Senior Director, Human Resources and coordination with the Human Resources Department staff. Ability to work with and execute across all of CBCF departments.
- External Relationships: This position will interact with staff, vendors, consultants, and others seeking information about CBCF employment or requiring assistance related to departmental information.
Human Resources/Stakeholder Support
- Performs customer service functions by answering employee requests and inquiries.
- Performs specific administrative tasks related to recruitment, benefit assistance, and related human resources functions.
- Administers applicant testing; metro SmartBenefits and/or other HR reporting or tracking systems.
- Posts vacancy announcements and monitor applicant tracking system for qualified candidates.
- Facilitates staff engagement, employee relations events and recognition programs under the direction of the Senior Director.
- Remains knowledgeable about the department and CBCF initiatives to provide assistance in general human resources functions.
- Stays abreast of departmental deadlines and provide assistance in a team like manner.
- Promotes a positive, supportive work environment through responsiveness to staff inquiries and recognition programs.
- Supports a culture of professionalism, motivation and excellence through open communication and collaboration.
- Conducts preliminary research in specific areas in support of the Senior Director.
- Provides full administrative support to the Senior Director and handles routine departmental activities for the department.
- Organizes and schedules meetings with high attention to appointments and multiple calendars, conference-room bookings, equipment, communication to participants, and preparation of agendas and meeting/event logistics and materials.
- Assists with special projects as assigned; and determines priorities, actions and follow through required in a proactive manner to ensure completion within requirements and deadlines.
- Anticipates a variety of needs and proactively suggest solutions. Prepares and compiles confidential correspondence, presentations, and reports as requested.
- Tracks and updates SmartSheet applications, and other software and documentations for recruitment and personnel actions based on procedural requirements.
- Organize and create administrative process to support the department.
- Prepares purchase orders, check requests and travel reimbursements with supporting documentation for fulfillment.
- Provides back-up administrative support as needed in conjunction with the administrative team.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned.
- Represents the department on committees or task forces (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborate with staff, consultants, and volunteers in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Effectively perform duties to deliver against SMART goals and objectives.
- Serves as a back up to the CBCF receptionist and the President and CEO’s executive assistant and assists with related clerical duties as required
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned.
- Self-starter, responsible and accountable for all assigned responsibilities
- Superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats
- Previous experience as an assistant in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with little supervision to complete work within deadlines.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Must successfully deliver all tasks assigned. Exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders is critical. Incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the incumbent.
- Knowledge: BA/BS highly preferred. High school diploma or equivalent required. A minimum of eight years of progressive administrative assistance experience. Knowledge of routine office practices and procedures. Demonstrated experience working in a human resources department is preferred. Internal and external customer service skills required.
- Skills and Abilities: Must operate with confidentiality in the handling of all human resources communication or related documents. Excellent organization, communication and problem solving skills required. Manages day-to-day administrative functions. Ability to perform detailed work independently and accurately with direct supervision and ownership as an asset to the team. Experience managing routine assignments and related oversight. Strong interpersonal skills to support team building, and positive working relationships across the organization. Ability to manage up to supervisor and handle multiple tasks and shifting priorities with follow-through. Trustworthy with commitment to the human resources goals and objectives; and proactive to direct and resolve diverse inquiries. Must demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness and monitors personal work to ensure quality. Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel. Familiarity with HRIS, SmartSheet and SharePoint or similar software is desirable.
- Physical Requirements: This is a critical role in a professional office environment. This position requires standard office procedures, policies and processed documents, and use of equipment such as computer, phone, photocopiers, file cabinets; fax machines and other traditional office machines. Must demonstrate efficiency and fortitude in balancing simultaneous priorities. The ability to effectively and efficiently handle periods of heavy workloads is an essential function of this position. Must be able to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel may be required.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. Position opened until filled. No phone calls accepted.