Position Title: Administrative Assistant/Coordinator
Department: Marketing and Communications (MarCom)
Reports Directly to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: March 2019
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc. (CBCF) is a nonprofit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are education, public health, economic empowerment and the environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The position reports to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications (MarCom); and is an integral member of the MarCom team. The team comprises two divisions focused on four components (marketing, communications, event planning and management, and stakeholder engagement). The marketing and communications division is responsible for internal and external messaging relative to CBCF programs, initiatives and events. The events and stakeholder division is responsible for directing CBCF’s events, and partnering with internal and external stakeholders for planning and execution.
The Administrative Assistant/ Coordinator is the first point of contact for the department. He/she provides high-level administrative support to the Vice President of MarCom, coordinates all administrative functions of the department including maintaining and consolidating historic/departmental records; managing the VP’s calendar; monitoring compliance of administrative procedures and policies as set by the VP; and processing contracts, invoices and check requests as directed. In addition to performing standard clerical functions, the ideal candidate must have strong writing skills and demonstrate a high-level of discretion as he/she will draft high-level and/or confidential correspondence, conduct research, and draft reports and other documents. The position will also include event/meeting planning for smaller events and meetings, including Heritage Celebration and support for larger events including the Scholarship Classic and the Annual Legislative Conference (ALC). Successful candidates must demonstrate advanced experience with technology solutions like Microsoft Access, Adobe and PowerPoint, and will be trained to use internal project management software including Smartsheet, CADMIUM and Asana. He/she must be tactful, courteous, discreet, and reliable as the position will require interfacing with staff, the public, internal and external executive-level leadership including congressional staff, vendors and suppliers. The Administrative Assistant/ Coordinator must maintain a professional public image (written, oral and appearance) for the organization by performing duties in a competent manner.
- Reports to: Vice President of Marketing and Communications
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: N/A
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct supervision by Vice President of Marketing and Communications
- Internal Relationships: Will work closely with all members of the MarCom team. Will also work closely with client departments such as the President’s Office, Center for Policy Analysis and Research, Resource Development, Programs, and Finance and Administration.
- External Relationships: This position will interact with Members of Congress and their staff as well as other elected officials, CBCF Board of Directors, donors and supporters, executives and key staff of stakeholder organizations with whom CBCF partners, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF priorities.
A. Essential Functions
Administrative Support (50%)
- Assists VP in issuing and/or processing RFPs; prepares contracts for review and signature; and processes invoices for payment.
- Drafts and proofs letters for VP, other members of the department or organizational leadership. Also maintains current letter templates, according to brand guidelines.
- Produces and prepares meeting minutes and talking points for dissemination.
- Prepares PowerPoint presentations and conducts research and reports out as needed.
- Manages departmental mail and email responses as primary point of contact for department’s phone hotline and event email accounts.
- Screens and transfers incoming calls/messages/correspondence and responds independently when possible.
- Develops and maintains all departmental files, history and event fact sheets.
- Works with department staff to assemble post-project reports and departmental quarterly reports.
- Provides overall administrative support for VP and some administrative support for department staff.
- Maintains VP’s schedule and calendar.
- Consolidates departmental notes for distribution to MarCom to inform stakeholders.
- Manages email blast to stakeholders, including session producers and vendors as directed by VP, and event leads.
- Develops a timeline to track key departmental goals and tasks.
Event Support (30%)
- Coordinates small meetings/events (less than 200 people) including venue and caterer selection, reviewing event orders, rooming and guests lists, etc, as assigned by the VP.
- Handles travel arrangements; and produces detailed itineraries and other travel-related documents for small events (ex. Ceremonial Swearing-In). Works with ALC travel consultant and event leads to maintain conference related travel manifests and itineraries.
- Maintains registration and conducts follow up calls/emails related to reservation confirmations and database information for attendee mailing lists.
- Manages designated event collateral and content for review by the VP for execution.
- Reviews submissions from internal departments sent to the MarCom service request system to monitor fulfillment.
- Assists event leads with project timelines for large-scale events (Ex. ALC and Scholarship Classic).
- Coordinates ALC stakeholder orientation meetings with event lead, including venue selection, task force meeting schedule and prepares meeting agendas under the direction of the VP.
- Sends each event client a customer response survey to gather feedback on MarCom service to stakeholders.
Stakeholder Engagement (20%)
- Collects and maintains data and contact information related to potential/existing stakeholders, and shares contact information with appropriate MarCom staff.
- Coordinates board report submissions within the department and gathers additional information from appropriate CBCF staff and/or consultants.
- Composes or responds to correspondence to stakeholders as directed.
- Schedules meetings/calls for VP and event leads as directed.
- Provides administrative support for producing and evaluating post-project analysis reports to include survey development and data collection, at the direction of the VP or a department manager.
- Conducts preliminary research, as directed, on opinion leaders, business leaders, experts, or organizations that CBCF wishes to engage on policy efforts. Research could include initiating references and/or background information as directed.
B. Additional Functions
- Represents CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborates with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events.
- Effectively manages and balances administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned.
C. Required Special Skills
- Effectively communicate MarCom deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Familiarity with the federal legislative process and political environment.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders and provide exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders to influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. Incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Administrative Assistant. Must successfully deliver all administrative tasks to which he/she has been assigned.
- Knowledge: Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or four years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing customer service and administrative support for executive level staff is required. Knowledge and or ability to plan and coordinate logistical needs.
- Skills and Abilities: Exceptional written and oral communication skills; excellent clerical skills and time management with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments simultaneously in a professional and conscientious manner, planning and organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to proofread and edit is required. Must demonstrate extraordinary customer service and problem solving skills to interact and respond to multiple stakeholders at diverse levels. Advanced skills required in all Microsoft products including Outlook, Access, Excel, Adobe and PowerPoint.
- Physical Requirements: Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast paced environment with strict deadlines, ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel. Must manage simultaneous priorities in a demanding team environment.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. Position open until filled. No phone calls accepted.