Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Department: Center for Policy Analysis and Research (CPAR)
Position Class: Part Time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, hourly
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: January 2019
I. ORGANIZATION SUMMARY
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
II. POSITION SUMMARY
The administrative assistant provides high-level administrative and logistical support as an integral member of the Center for Policy Analysis and Research (CPAR). CPAR is responsible for new and existing research and policy analysis and initiatives of the CBCF, and the dissemination of information thereof in CBCF’s core focus areas of Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Additionally, CPAR oversees the AVOICE digital archive, and conducts grant writing while engaging with stakeholders and/or partnering with like-minded organizations, in cohesion with other CBCF departments.
The position reports to the Vice President of Policy Analysis and Research and serves as the first point of contact for the department while handling all administrative functions including organizing and maintaining files, managing the VP’s calendar, consolidating departmental reports, and monitoring compliance of administrative procedures and policies as set by the VP. In addition, he/she will manage database and contact lists, process contracts and prepare check requests as directed. The incumbent must have strong writing skills and demonstrate professionalism and discretion in drafting high-level and/or confidential correspondence, conducting preliminary research, or drafting routine reports and other documents. The position may also require some basic event planning and initial data analysis. The incumbent must demonstrate proficient experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Must be tactful, courteous, discreet, and reliable in interacting with staff, the public, and internal and external executive-level leadership to maintain a professional public image (written, oral and appearance) for the organization by performing duties in a reliable and competent manner.
III. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Reports to: Vice President of Policy Analysis and Research
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: N/A
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct supervision
- Internal Relationships: Close working relationship with the VP, Center for Policy Analysis and Research; and coordination with the CPAR team. Ability to work with and execute across all CBCF departments.
- External Relationships: Program participants; CBCF supporters; and CBC staff and external vendors and consultants
IV. SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists VP in compiling, organizing, and maintaining files, data and research.
- Drafts and proofs letters for VP, other members of the department or organizational leadership, while maintaining current letter templates.
- Produces and prepares meeting minutes and talking points for dissemination.
- Prepares PowerPoint presentations and conducts research and reports out as needed.
- Manages departmental mail and email responses as primary point of contact for departmental email accounts.
- Develops and maintains all departmental files, records and event fact sheets.
- Works with department staff to assemble post-project reports and departmental quarterly reports.
- Provide overall administrative support for VP and some administrative support for department staff.
- Maintains department VP’s schedule and calendar.
- Consolidate departmental notes for distribution to Communications and Marketing department; for communications to stakeholders.
- Develop a department timeline to track key departmental goals and tasks.
- Screens and transfers incoming calls/messages/correspondence and responds independently when possible and schedules meetings and conference calls as needed.
- Conducts preliminary research, as directed, on opinion leaders, business leaders, experts, and organizations that CBCF wishes to engage on policy efforts. Research could include initiating reference and/or background checks as directed.
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Effectively manage and balance research and administrative responsibilities and deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned.
Required Special Skills
- Superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats to include meetings, briefings, reports, media articles and blogs.
- Previous experience as an assistant in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with little supervision to complete work within deadlines.
V. RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders and provide exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders to influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. Incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the administrative assistant. Must successfully deliver all administrative tasks to which he/she has been assigned.
- Knowledge: Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or four years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires minimum of 2 years’ experience providing administrative support to executive level staff.
- Skills and Abilities: Exceptional written and oral communication skills; excellent clerical skills and time management with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a professional and conscientious manner. Planning and organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to proofread and edit is required. Must demonstrate respect, responsibility and extraordinary customer service and problem solving skills to respond to a number of end users. Must demonstrate collaboration and teamwork when working across departments and on shared projects. Advanced skills in all Microsoft products including Outlook, Excel, Adobe and PowerPoint is required.
- Physical Requirements: Applicant must be reliable and capable of producing in a fast paced environment with simultaneous priorities.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. The position is opened until filled. No phone calls accepted.