Position Title: Development Officer
Department: Resource Development
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: March 2020
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Resource Development department is committed to positive stakeholder engagement, successful donor cultivation and gift acquisition leading to increased revenue. Reporting to the Vice President of Resource Development and serving as an integral member of the Resource Development team, the Development Officer will perform the tasks and duties associated with fundraising, resource development, donor relations and strategic alliances. He/she will be an experienced fundraiser with knowledge of fundraising practices to increase financial gift support from public, private and foundation contributions.
The Development Officer is responsible for conducting extensive research of nonprofit and corporate foundation, corporate sponsors and individual donors to collect data and identify viable funding opportunities via online web listings, database searches, clearinghouse and directories. He/she will assist with preparing presentations and other fundraising materials for cultivation events, foundation and grant solicitations and stewardship. They will have the ability to support both individual and corporate fundraising tasks. The incumbent must be self-motivated, quick-thinking, flexible and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities in an efficient manner and simultaneously. He/she must be confident, reliable, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where each day can bring a new set of priorities and demands. The ideal candidate will be a proven fundraiser with demonstrated success and ability to work independently and as a team player and will excel in working in fast past environments with strict deadlines.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with corporations, foundations and individuals to gain long-range funding support for core programs, operation needs and strategic priorities.
- Prepare periodic management reports, presentations and other relevant material for meetings/briefings, cultivation events, solicitations and stewardship.
- Prepare and submit accurate and timely grant applications, formal proposals, and letters of inquiry to funding sources.
- Assist with grant writing for the Foundation’s programs as assigned
- Solicit funding for in-kind opportunities; increase advertisements/marketing revenue for events/conferences
- Ensure effective stewardship practices for funders including regular communication and promotion of CBCF’s programs, events and accomplishments.
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned
- Conduct extensive research of nonprofit foundations, corporate sponsors and individual donors to collect data and identify funding.
- Work with other staff on special projects or efforts that contribute to the organization’s larger development goals.
- Keep supervisor/team abreast of any unanticipated donor issues/concerns and recommended solutions.
- Balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals/objectives.
Operations and Special Event Support
- Lead/manage onsite event management and stakeholder services including project management, registration, advertising, appropriate donor/sponsor recognition and signage verification;
- Assist with database management to include creating and tracking spreadsheets, data collection and research, interdepartmental and external donor services requests such as answering gift inquiries and assisting with gift-related issues and preparation of reports and other documents as requested
- Collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects. Represent CBCF at related events and activities.
Required Special Skills:
- Passion for CBCF’s mission with a commitment to market-based approaches for achieving strategic partnerships and engagement.
- Well-honed stakeholder management and leadership skills including knowledge, initiative, independence, and good judgement combined with the ability to work well in a team and with other staff.
- An entrepreneurial approach to fundraising, finding and creating new opportunities.
- Effective communication of CBCF deliverables to a variety of audiences and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external) in order to increase revenue.
- Superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics and compliance laws, as well as CBCF business conduct policies. Failure to comply can result in penalties for the organization and the incumbent. Incorrect financial errors may result in additional time required to correct errors, missed opportunities and/or cost overruns.
- A Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years’ proven experience in a fundraising operation which would including securing revenue from individuals, corporations or foundations required.
- Knowledge of public policy, federal legislative process, and political environment is preferred.
- Certification in fundraising management and knowledge of the non-profit industry is desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and solid interpersonal skills
- High aptitude for databases and data management.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with Resource Development team, members of CBCF management team and external stakeholders.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and aptitude for technology and telecommunication devices.
- Familiarity with email marketing tools (i.e. Constant Contact).
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles.
- The Development Officer may carry light items, such as: reports, exhibit materials, data products, and notebooks.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls accepted.