Position Title: Development Officer
Department: Resource Development
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: March 2019
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Congressional Black Caucus Foundation is a dynamic, evolving organization with a proven history of developing future leaders and impacting the lives we serve and represent. CBCF seeks committed, hardworking team members with a passion for improving the black community and expanding the reach of the organization beyond the Washington DC corridor.
The Resource Development department is committed to positive stakeholder engagement, successful donor cultivation and gift acquisition leading to increased revenue. Its primary goal is to secure $11 million dollars in funding to support and grow the programs and initiatives of CBCF.
Reporting to the Senior Development Manager and serving as an integral member of the Resource Development team, the Development Officer I will perform the tasks and duties associated with fundraising, resource development, donor relations and strategic alliances.
He / she must be self-motivated, quick-thinking, flexible and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities in an efficient manner and simultaneously. He/she must be confident, reliable, and enjoy working in a fast paced environment where each day can bring a new set of priorities and demands. The ideal candidate must be professional, use initiative and good judgment, maintain confidentiality, and work independently but also with the RD team.
The Development Officer will research and identify viable grant and funding opportunities for the Foundation. He/She will work closely with Senior Development Manager and Senior Development Officer to assess fundraising needs, as determined by the organization’s strategic plan and operating needs.
The Development Officer will have experience with fundraising and be knowledgeable of fundraising practices to increase financial gift support from public, private and foundation contributions. The Development Officer will assist with preparing presentations and other fundraising materials for cultivation events, foundation and grant solicitations and stewardship.
The Development Officer will be responsible for conducting extensive research of nonprofit and corporate foundation, corporate sponsors and individual donors to collect data and identify viable funding opportunities via online web listings, database searches, clearinghouse and directories.
The Development Officer will have an ability and demonstrated knowledge of the potential strategies to approach corporations, grants and foundations; with an understanding of current trends both externally in the business and non-profit sector.
- Reports to: Senior Development Manager
- Directly Supervises: none
- Indirectly Supervises: none
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct supervision
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with Resource Development team, specifically with Senior Development Manager and the Senior Development Officer and CBCF staff to effect maximum exposure, donor support and stakeholder engagement.
- External Relationships: Existing and prospective CBCF Donors and Supporters, occasional contact with offices of Members of Congress, grant making foundation staff and administrative staff of key organizations with whom CBCF partners and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF priorities and as directed by Senior Development Manager.
- Develop short and long-range goals/objectives to direct and enlist funding support from public/private grant agencies, foundations, corporations and individuals.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with corporations, foundations and individuals to gain long-range support for core programs, operation needs and strategic priorities.
- Prepare periodic management reports, presentations and other relevant material for meetings/briefings, cultivation events, solicitations and stewardship.
- Conduct research of nonprofit foundations, corporate sponsors, government programs and individual donors to collect and compile extensive data for funding opportunities.
- Prepare and submit accurate and timely grant applications, formal proposals, and letters of inquiry to funding sources. Assist with grant writing for the Foundation’s programs; and process on-line grant opportunities for the conference, tournament and other initiatives.
- Solicit funding for in-kind opportunities; and increase advertisements and marketing revenue for events and conferences
- Ensure effective stewardship practices for funders including regular communication and promotion of CBCF’s programs, events and accomplishments.
- Provide support and assist with completion and execution of grant and fundraising proposal development including research of potential new funding opportunities, execution of grant application process; and ensure timely reporting to existing grant funders.
- Conduct extensive research of nonprofit foundations, corporate sponsors and individual donors to collect data and identify funding.
- Assist Senior Development Manager and Development Coordinator and finance team to ensure that pledges, gifts, grants and other revenues are properly recorded in the organization’s financial records, forecasts, and budgets and that grant budgets and grant reports align.
- Work with other staff on special projects or efforts that contribute to the organization’s larger development goals.
- Keep supervisor/team abreast of any unanticipated donor issues/concerns and recommended solutions.
Operations and Special Event Support
- Lead/manage onsite event management and stakeholder services including project management, registration, appropriate donor/sponsor recognition and signage verification;
- Assist with database management to include creating and tracking spreadsheets, data collection and research, interdepartmental and external donor services requests such as answering gift inquiries and assisting with gift-related issues and preparation of reports and other documents as requested.
- Assist with onsite event management and stakeholder services including registration, and advertising and signage verification.
- Collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Represent CBCF at related events and activities.
- Collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned.
Required Special Skills:
- A passion for CBCF’s mission with a commitment to market based approaches for achieving strategic partnerships and engagement.
- Well-honed management and leadership skills including initiative and independence, combined with the ability to work well in a team and manage and mentor other staff.
- An entrepreneurial approach to fundraising, finding and creating new opportunities.
- Effective communication of CBCF deliverables to a variety of audiences and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external) in order to increase revenue.
- Superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Development Officer must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics and compliance laws, as well as CBCF business conduct policies. Failure to comply can result in penalties for the organization and the incumbent. Incorrect financial errors may result in additional time required to correct errors, missed opportunities and/or cost overruns.
Highly intelligent, innovative and resourceful, able to assimilate and integrate large amounts of information and find creative solutions. Maturity and excellent judgment are essential.
- Knowledge: A Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years’ experience in a fundraising operation which would including securing revenue from individuals, corporations or foundations required. Must be articulate and confident in dealings with internal staff and external stakeholders. Knowledge of public policy, federal legislative process, and political environment is preferred. Certification in fundraising management and knowledge of the non-profit industry is ideal.
- Skills and Abilities: Excellent written and oral communication skills; excellent time management, planning and organizational skills and attention to detail is optimal. Must be able to prioritize and meet conflicting deadlines while working independently and as part of a team. Public speaking and presentation delivery is required. Solid interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with others and complete assignments as directed. Position requires a high aptitude for databases, data management, and attention to detail. Creative problem solver and results oriented; Exceptional organizational skills and work independently or as part of a team. Solid interpersonal skills using tact and patience and due diligence with the ability to build and maintain relationships with Resource Development team, members of CBCF management team and external stakeholders. Telephone techniques and excellent customer care are essential.In particular, strong candidates will possess the gravitas and strategic skills required to collaborate with high profile donors, the ability to achieve significant growth in a fast-paced, highly entrepreneurial environment, and genuine interest in helping to build support for eliminating disparities in the global black community.
Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Highly proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and overall aptitude for technology are required. Proficiency with telecommunications devices such as Blackberry, iPhone and/or Androids preferred. Experience with Raisers’ Edge 7 or donor tracking/fundraising software preferred. Familiarity with email marketing tools (i.e. Constant Contact). Familiarity with basic accounting principles and practices ideal.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to work in a fast paced environment with strict deadlines. Must work well under pressure and manage simultaneous priorities. Work levels tend to fluctuate with mailings, fundraising events and or quarterly Board and Corporate Advisory Council Meetings. The Development Officer may carry light items, such as: reports, exhibit materials, data products, and notebooks.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls accepted.