Position Title: Director, Leadership Institute
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Why We want YOU on the team?
- You are a professional leader with sound judgment
- You hold outstanding interpersonal skills to oversee and engage a variety of stakeholders in various settings
- You have at least four years of management experience and program development
- You have the ability to manage execute programs or projects with attention to detail, excellent judgment, and creative solutions
- You possess exceptional written and oral communication skills
- You are able to be flexible and adaptable to change
- You are willing to go beyond the call of duty to get the job done when needed
- You are likeable, communicate openly, and meet challenges with a solutions-oriented approach
- You can effectively communicate deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums.
Why You Will Love Working with Us?
- We are mission driven and know the value of working together as a team to get the job done
- We are invested in young people and working to provide them invaluable educational opportunities that benefit them throughout their careers
- We love to get to know people beyond the work they do and cultivate healthy, collegial connections
- We don’t take ourselves too seriously, but we are serious about our work
- We work with likeminded policymakers, activists, think tanks, educators, business leaders, and activists that engage each other to advance black empowerment
- We have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team and staff
- We pride ourselves on hosting the Annual Legislative Conference, bringing ten to twenty thousand attendees to participate in the largest convening of public policy sessions in cooperation with the Congressional Black Caucus centered on equity and justice for the global black community.
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
CBCF is seeking an experienced Director to expand and enhance the Leadership Institute and increase the pool of black leaders in public service careers and public policy positions by providing fellowships, internships, and alumni engagement programs to individuals with diverse interest in policy areas. Reporting to the Vice President of the Leadership Institute/Center for Policy Analysis and Research, the Director of the Leadership Institute will direct and manage the Institute to ensure implementation of program objectives and initiatives. Additionally, the Director will plan professional development seminars based on assessed needs of participants, manage the Leadership Institute coordinator, and actively track and report ongoing successes while ensuring the program objectives are met.
This position provides coaching and professional development opportunities to participants through targeted leadership training over the course of the Leadership Institute. Institute participants make up the Alumni Network of transformative public servants and future leaders. The Institute promotes diverse opportunities to broaden and impact the African American and global black community through the new Pathways to the C-Suite internship programs in thriving corporate settings.
The director will play a key role in expanding CBCF’s mission and presence beyond the DMV area through community outreach, program development and collaborative innovation and engagement with stakeholders. In addition, the Director will collaborate with the VP as a thought leader and assist with managing finances. The incumbent should have a genuine passion for the work and our mission, and be a mature, professional leader with sound judgment and proven problem-solving skills and leadership ability.
- Advanced degree in public policy, education administration or related field is required.
- At least four years of supervisory experience in a senior leadership/management position plus a minimum of four years of program management experience.
- Congressional work experience or intimate understanding of the landscape of Capitol Hill is highly preferred.
- Experience writing and managing grants is a plus.
- Demonstrated strategic analysis, forward thinking skills and results-driven program development, implementation and project management success.
- Excellent methodological and problem-solving skills, oral and written communication.
Physical Requirements: Requires ability to actively speak and listen; ability to use computers, telephones and other office equipment; may require ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Application Requirements: CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references, until position is filled, using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls accepted.