Position Title: Director of Congressional Relations
Reports to: President and CEO
Department: Executive Office
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt, salaried
Prepared: October 2019
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Applicants may visit the website at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Director of Congressional Relations is primarily responsible for building, maintaining and strengthening relationships with CBC members as the single point of contact with the Foundation. This professional liaison will provide customer service, information sharing and follow-up on matters related to this integral stakeholder group; while promoting CBCF programs (including the Fellows and internship programs) across Capitol Hill. In addition, he/she will manage CBC member engagement around ALC and other CBCF fundraisers.
The Director of Congressional Relations will share responsibility for growing the Interns and Fellows programs among both Democrat and Republican members; engage federal agencies to support outreach; and assist with fundraising to develop new programs that increase CBCF’s visibility, mission, and revenue streams. The successful candidate will have Capitol Hill experience and leadership skills to manage and proactively foster results through ongoing communication, core knowledge and creative approach to mutual goals. Candidate must have superior oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Serve as liaison between CBCF/CBC Members to communicate relevant information flow.
- Coordinate services and Member engagement activities to achieve the best positive outcome.
- Keep Chiefs of staff updated and identify any glitches.
- Liaise with CBCF President to communicate strategies to/from departments; including funding goals and ideas.
- Maintain routine communication with Managers for updates; and serve as a contact to undertake and document current functions, policies and procedures necessary for stakeholder relations.
- Collaborate with staff across departments to ensure timely execution.
- Maintain lists of key stakeholders and Member office personnel to collaborate/facilitate meetings/events
- Fundraise to promote the growth of CBCF interns and fellows on Capitol Hill 9. Foster new program ideas to strengthen member engagement
- Administer projects with considerable independence.
- Prepare debrief, analytical reports and presentations.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- Creative leadership with initiative to manage multiple priorities on time
- Stakeholder management skills required to promote service and engagement around CBCF’s initiatives
- Fundraising to support growth of CBCF interns and fellows on Capitol Hill
- Excellent networking and cultivation skills to develop partnerships
- Customer service and stewardship skills to strengthen internal/external stakeholders
- Problem-solving, data analysis/reporting skills
- Effective listening with superior oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to manage discrete information and work within the context of a defined strategy
- Ability to think out of the box to recommend tailored solutions with excellent follow-through
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge: Knowledge of Capitol Hill, public policy, federal legislative process, and political environment is preferred. Must demonstrate knowledge, understanding and required management necessary to accomplish numerous responsibilities of the position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Requires recognized qualifications or substantial leadership and working experience and management aptitude. Must be experienced in cultivating partners and fundraising. Requires proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, MS Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint). Must be able to provide analytical presentations and demonstrate results. Ability to write and prepare reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, stakeholders or others. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions to recommend tailored solutions.
- Physical Requirements: The candidate must be able to produce in a fast paced environment with demanding deadline schedules, long hours and some weekend work during peak periods. Must be willing to travel when needed. The candidate must work well managing simultaneous priorities and exercise discretion and diplomacy.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references, until position is filled, using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls/inquiries.