Position Title: Director, Strategic Events
Department: Strategic Events
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: June 2020
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Incorporated (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are education, public health, economic empowerment and the environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to learn more information about CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Director, Strategic Events plays a pivotal role in the execution of high-profile and high-visibility foundation events and programs. The Director will work alongside the Vice President, Strategic Events to drive all live and virtual event engagement efforts for the organization. In addition, he/she will ensure staff is adequately informed to produce and execute quality events working in partnership with consultants and the management team.
The ideal candidate must be a forward-thinking strategist and a tactician who is able to prioritize and produce in a fast-paced environment. A successful candidate will be flexible and dependable and have a strong logistics, technology, and project management background with stellar writing and editing skills.
- Reports to: Vice President, Strategic Events
- Directly Supervises: Event vendors and consultants
- Indirectly Supervises: 1) Senior Manager, Strategic Events; 2) Event Coordinator; Volunteers
- Type of Supervision Received: Minimal to none
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with the following departments, Resource Development, Programs, Center for Policy Analysis and Research and Marketing and Communications Departments
- External Relationships: CBC Members, donors, Chairman’s communications staff, vendors and stakeholders as defined by the CBCF’s strategic priorities.
- Partner with multi-disciplinary teams including staff, consultants, vendors and other stakeholders to foster a seamless operation with keen attention to detail, communication, transparency and cohesion. Implement event strategy, create and oversee production schedules, facilitate production meetings and vendor/staff updates, and participate in site visits as required.
- Deliver flawless event execution and stakeholder engagement with colleagues, vendors and internal/external stakeholders. Work closely with the management team to plan virtual, hybrid and in-person conferences, special events, policy forums, or summits with attention to budget management and cost effectiveness.
- General logistics responsibilities include (but are not limited to): vendor management, food and beverage, exhibit management, session scheduling and room assignments, special event design, freight shipments, long distance travel research and booking, and hotel room block management, etc.
- Alongside VP, Strategic Events, identify and negotiate contracts with potential vendors related to delivery of service/products for above named areas.
- Oversee event registration vendor(s) and associated technology platforms, websites, and mobile apps. Manage event guests lists and invitation processes and coordinate participation of CBCF leadership and key internal and external stakeholders.
- Serve as liaison to CBCF Marketing and Communications and Resource Development teams for the innovative creation and placement of event branding and sponsorship assets. Provide support to Resource Development team to facilitate effective engagement with sponsors and key stakeholders.
- Produce post-event/conference reports to include all critical analysis of statistical data collected as well as qualitative input from stakeholders, vendors, staff, guests, attendees, etc. and make recommendations that respond to stakeholder needs and expectations and anticipate future needs.
- Maintain event budgets in collaboration with event client. Forecast budget variances and respond accordingly to maintain approved expense levels. Conduct post project/event reconciliation with accounting department in collaboration with VP, Strategic Events.
- Manage logistical needs for Annual Legislative Conference to include function space assignments for approximately 80 sessions and events. This includes serving as a primary point of contact and source of accurate and timely information for session producers, event sponsors and other stakeholders.
- Manage and lead output of conference related interdepartmental work teams. Provide guidance to colleagues on conference related matters to include, but not limited to, catering decisions, venue selection, production orders, etc.
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Manage and balance administrative responsibilities to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats, to include briefings, reports, media, and oral presentations
- Complete all responsibilities, duties and other projects as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Director, Strategic Events must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Director, Strategic Events.
- Knowledge: A Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university, with a minimum of 5 years progressive demonstrated experience in leading large-scale city-wide events with proven results and effective leadership and management skills. CMP, CSEP, or CEM certification strongly preferred. Requires experience with directing high profile stakeholders and managing multiple diverse priorities. Proven track record of success in planning and executing a major public policy conference in a business, agency or nonprofit setting is desired. An advanced degree in business management, financial planning or strategic management is a plus.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Advanced skills in the design of registration, exhibit, and virtual technology platforms required. Advance proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Access, Word, Excel, Powerpoint and the Adobe Suite are required. Proficient CAD diagramming, video production and graphic design experience is a plus.
- Skills and Abilities: This position requires a disciplined work ethic with accountability and ongoing follow-through. Ability to drive innovation and strategic planning to leverage new partnerships and forge varied relationships. Attention to detail and ability to proofread and edit is required. Must demonstrate extraordinary customer care and strong problem-solving skills to respond to a number of end users with sound judgement. Ability to effectively manage and balance myriad responsibilities with capacity to deliver against the organization’s goals and objectives Ability to effectively collaborate with staff, consultants, and vendors to facilitate conferences, large scale events and related projects.
- Physical Requirements: Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vison to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups and over the telephone. Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines, ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel. Ability to produce and be flexible in a multi-priority, high demanding environment is essential.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Click here to apply for this position.