Position Title: Executive Assistant
Department: Office of the President and CEO
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, D.C.
Prepared: March 2021
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Incorporated (CBCF) is a small non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Executive Assistant (EA) to the President and CEO must be self-motivated, quick-thinking, flexible and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities in an efficient manner. He/she must be confident, reliable, and enjoy working in a fast pace job where each day can bring a new set of priorities and demands. He/she must be able to exercise discretion, good judgment and initiative while working regularly with the Chairman, senior managers, Board members, and a diverse group of internal and external customers on a variety of issues. He/she will act as the primary liaison between departments on all issues that affect the Office of the President and the Board of Directors; and will assist the President with the day-to-day functions of the executive office, handle administrative decisions, and provide administrative support for Board-related functions, including quarterly Board meetings. He/she will work closely with the staff of the Chairman to assist him with administrative tasks. The EA is expected to perform his/her duties in a confidential, professional, and reliable manner.
- Reports to: President and CEO with dotted line to the Manager of Operations
- Indirectly Supervises: N/A
- Type of Supervision Received: Minimal
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with Senior Management Team
- External Relationships: CBCF Board of Directors; and Senior Executives
- Manages the office of the President and performs administrative duties for the President and related office functions.
- Screens incoming calls and correspondence and responds independently when possible.
- Manages and maintains the President’s calendar and meeting appointments with internal/external customers
- Works in a collaborative effort with various departments in the planning and preparation of events, programs and conferences as assigned. Helps to ensure that directions from the Office of the President are carried out.
- Handles meeting arrangements and prepares agendas, notices, background material, and resolutions for Board meetings.
- Takes and transcribes dictation, and composes and prepares confidential correspondence, reports, and other complex documents including Board minutes, tracking reports, etc.
- Manages the digital and paper filing systems for the President and the Board of Directors including hard and soft copies, and business contacts file.
- Maintains periodic updates to the Board to keep them informed of programs/events and reports
- Edits correspondence coming to President’s office for grammatical, style and typographical errors.
- Receives incoming mail, routine correspondence and respond or draft letters for the President’s signature
- Ensures that office operations are in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Acts as the key custodian of corporate documents and records.
- Assist with special projects and performs miscellaneous job responsibilities as required.
- Knowledge: Bachelor’s Degree and/or more than five years proven experience providing executive and personal assistance to senior executives preferably in a non-profit setting. This position requires careful attention to detail, initiative, willingness to assume responsibility, confidentiality, strong organizational skills, and a dynamic, positive, and outgoing attitude.
- Skills and Abilities: The incumbent must have extraordinary customer care skills and problem solving abilities; and comfort interacting with senior executives, donors, and the general public. Excellent verbal, written and communication skills. Ability to effectively and efficiently handle multiple, simultaneous, and complex tasks and project coordination. Independent professional with solid organizational skills, initiative, and ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and make cognizant decisions. Must be knowledgeable about the organization, its mission and goals and key internal and external customers. Solid knowledge of office management policies/procedures and business protocol for working with executive management. Dependable job attendance and ability to from time to time be on-call after hours for administrative assistance when required. Ability to discreetly handle confidential and politically sensitive matters.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Highly proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and overall aptitude for technology and cloud-based software are required. Requires strong computer and internet research ability.
- Physical Requirements: This job is primarily sedentary. Some walking and standing may occur in the course of a normal workday in connection with travel to and from meetings, events and conferences. The candidate may also carry light items such as reports, data products and notebooks. The candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demanding deadline schedules. They must work well under pressure, exercising tact and diplomacy while managing simultaneous priorities. May be required to work long hours, weekends, and light travel.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only: forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, portfolio and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis. Only completed applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls accepted.