Established in 2013, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Incorporated (CBCF) Marketing & Communications Internship program sponsored by State Farm is a year-long paid internship for current or recent college graduates interested in careers in communications. The internship will provide hands-on experience and exposure to marketing, graphic design and public and media relations activities. The internship requires 40 hours per week and pays a stipend of $15 per hour, for a total of $31,200 annually. The internship requires a minimum nine-month tenure that cannot end prior to December 1, 2018.
Primary responsibilities will focus on executing digital media strategies for the CBCF and its programs and initiatives. The intern will also provide editorial support, develop weekly content for social media promotions, and introduce creative ideas and opportunities to expand the CBCF’s reach using digital media. The intern will also research and provide timely information on new media platforms and trends.
- Social media and new media outreach
- Assist in the development of weekly social media schedules and calendars
- Devise creative strategies for social media engagement to acquire new and maintain current followers
- Build and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video or HTML) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action
- Set up and optimize company pages within each platform to increase the visibility of company’s social content
- Moderate all user-generated content in line with the moderation policy for each community
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on the information
- Collaborate with other departments to manage reputation, identify key players and coordinate actions
- Provide email marketing support
- Research, provide recommendations and develop initial content for new media platform to strengthen the CBCF brand
- Work with other members of the communications and marketing team to develop and implement marketing campaigns and programs
- Draft press releases, media advisories, etc.
- Help manage the CBCF photography and videography storage archives
- Research, provide recommendations and develop initial content for new media platform
- Provide onsite social media support during CBCF special events
- Assist in production of video clips and photography slideshows
- Provide graphic design support for marketing collateral and promotional materials
- Integrate new media technologies into CBCF’s communication strategies
- Provide campaign recaps and reports
- Assist with proofreading and editing of marketing and communications materials
- Create and maintain a portfolio of work products
- Collaborate with and provide support to all members of the communications and marketing team
- Perform various administrative duties in support of the vice president, communications and marketing
- Complete all responsibilities, duties, and other projects as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Interest in CBCF’s pillars: public health, education, environment and economic empowerment
- Understanding of blog culture and social media networks
- Basic WordPress and blogging skills
- Familiar with a wide-range of online social networks and new media technologies
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Positive attitude, detail and brand oriented with good multitasking and organizational ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong copyediting skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Intern will receive a $15 per hour stipend ($31,200 annually)
- Intern will receive an iPad
- Intern may be eligible to receive academic credit at their college or university for participating in the program
- U.S. citizen or permit to work in the U.S.
- Must be at least a college junior by internship start date or recent graduate.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrated interest in communications, journalism, press, and social media
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and references via the online application portal here. For more information, please send an e-mail to Marc Banks, email@example.com and type “Marketing & Communications Internship Program” in the subject line. No phone calls please.