Position Title: Senior Accountant
Department: Finance and Administration
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
Reporting to and partnering with the Accounting Manager, the Senior Accountant is responsible for managing the operational and fiscal activities of the department including internal transaction procedures and financial reporting. He/she will plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality, and efficiency of the department. The incumbent must understand, administer, and articulate all Foundation accounting policies and procedures required for operations.
Financial and Operational Management
- Obtains and maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure. Ensures that all financial reporting deadlines are met and monthly departmental reports are distributed timely.
- Works with the Accounting Manager and Chief Financial Officer to assist with and ensure a clean and timely year-end audit. Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare monthly and year end journal entries and post to the general ledger accounts. Ensures an accurate and timely monthly and year end closure of books of accounts.
- Meets accounting financial objectives by forecasting requirements, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions. Maintains fixed assets records.
- Assist the Accounting Manager with the preparation and processing of ACH direct deposit of funds. Ensure timely and accurate recording of cash, checks, pledges and revenue to the Blackbaud Financial Edges system. Ensures timely reconciliation of bank statements to the general ledger.
- Responds to inquiries from the Accounting Manager, CFO, CEO & President and other department heads regarding finance related matters. Assists the Accounting Manager in the preparation of the Foundation’s annual budget. Maintain an organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions.
- Prepares prepaid, insurance, and depreciation entries.
- Maintains accounting controls by implementing the Foundation’s accounting policies and procedures. Ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, federal and state regulations. Monitors and analyzes the department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Recommends new and revised accounting policies, procedures and internal controls based on evolving needs; ensures policies and procedures are well documented and updated timely. Create/improve procedure documents for all processes performed. Assists employees with questions related to accounting procedures and practices.
- Maintains financial security by establishing internal controls and implementing improvements to internal control systems; and incorporates recommendations made by auditors.
- Participates in all required training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Effectively collaborates with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Manages and balances administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Completes all responsibilities for other duties and projects as assigned.
Required Special Skills
- Effective communication of the finance and accounting department deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Familiarity with the federal legislative process and political environment.
- Proven project management skills and experience in designing, managing, and delivering high quality projects on time.
- Good oral and written communication and presentation skills.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Senior Accountant must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Senior Accountant.
- Knowledge: Requires a BA/BS in Accounting or Finance with an emphasis in Accounting required; CPA Seven years prior experience in the accounting/financial reporting field. Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Experience with governmental/non-profit accounting principles and procedures. Must be PC proficient and experienced with accounting systems. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel and Word. Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raisers Edge software skill is preferred. Requires extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Strong verbal and written communication skills, business skills and related competencies. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required. Must possess the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced work environment with attention to detail and accuracy. The candidate must have experience dealing with specialized accounting work required to maintain the Foundation’s general ledger. Must also possess experience in preparing financial statements and coordinating an annual audit.
- Skills and Abilities: Advanced experience using Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raisers Edge or similar accounting software is required. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience using Smartsheet or other project management software is helpful. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform a variety of tasks; and each essential duty satisfactorily. This position requires exceptional attention to detail; as well as precise written and oral communication skills.
- Physical Requirements: Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast paced environment strict deadlines, and ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references, until position is filled, using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls accepted.