Position Title: Senior Development Manager
Department: Resource Development
Reports to: Vice President of Development
Status: Salaried, Exempt
Prepared: July 2020
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment, and the Environment. Applicants may visit the website at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Senior Development Manager works closely with the Vice President of Development to maximize the fundraising potential for the Foundation. The Senior Development Manager is responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing major gift contributions in support of the Foundation’s programs and mission. He/she will serve as a key team player to expand CBCF’s ability to increase funding from individuals, corporate and foundation donors to meet fund development and endowment goals. He/she will plan, implement and evaluate strategies to execute fundraising initiatives and sponsorship opportunities. Responsibilities include prospect research; solicitation of in-kind gifts, and stewardship oversight and managing fundraising drives and data compilation. He or She will work with the VP of Resource Development in supervising a small development team.
- Reports to: Vice President, Resource Development
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: N/A
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct supervision
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with the full Resource Development team, office of the President and CEO, related counterparts in Research, Programs, Communications and Marketing, External Affairs, and Finance & Administration to effectively support the Resource Development functions.
- External Relationships: CBCF Board of Directors, CBCF Corporate Advisory Council members, CBCF donors, supporters, congressional offices, and executives and key staff of key organizations with whom CBCF partners, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF priorities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following
- Serves as a lead fundraiser to enhance major gifts, planned, deferred or annual giving campaigns, and endowment action plans.
- Working with the Vice President, establish short and long-range fundraising goals including the organization and coordination of fundraising initiatives, individual giving and endowment plans
- Manages the fundraising participation from the current donor base of previous activity, donor history and outreach prospects to ensure communication and interaction.
- Oversees the funding database information to ensure complete and comprehensive donor history and prospect information. Protects confidentiality and tracks statistical information for fundraising objectives.
- Cultivates and maintains regular communications with active and prospective donors while maintaining professional standards and conduct in all business operations. Ensures a timely response to major proposals and donor contribution/gift acknowledgements.
- Prepares current and forecast development reports to the Vice President of Resource Development. Researches and develops new corporate/foundation prospect strategies and proposals for fundraising support.
- Collaborate with other departments to develop fundraising plans, strategy, and objectives for special events, including revenue projections and fundraising and project implementation.
- Provide fundraising leadership, support and collaboration with the Development Team.
- Develop and implement fundraising plans as assigned including sponsorship package deliverables, direct mail campaigns, and phone calls or visits.
- Oversees and manages operations of the Resource Development department.
Education and Qualifications Required
A Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years fundraising experience with individuals, corporations or foundations required. Must have strong negotiation and collaboration skills and ability to implement effective fundraising strategies and major giving plans.. Must have supervisory experience and ability to manage and motivate a team successfully. Strong work ethic with excellent oral and written communication skills required. Proficient experience with Raisers Edge fund raising software is preferred. Must be able to prioritize and meet conflicting deadlines while working independently and as part of a team. Passion for the organization’s mission is mandatory. Knowledge and experience in the non-profit industry preferred.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal only. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Position is open until filled. No phone calls accepted.