Position Title: Senior Program Manager, National Racial Equity Initiative for Social Justice (NREI)
Department: Center for Policy Analysis and Research
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: July 2021
The Sr. Program Manager plays a vital role in CBCF’s mission of developing leaders, informing policy, and educating the public. Reporting to the Director, NREI, the Sr. Program Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day planning, coordination, and implementation of NREI programming. He/She/They will collaborate as a thought partner to the Director and will be responsible for coordinating the activities and events of the Initiative and developing sustainable systems to ensure the execution of high-caliber programs. In addition, the Sr. Program Manager will be responsible for working with the Director to evaluate NREI’s efficacy and partnering with the Director to make modifications to the Initiative, as necessary. The ideal candidate for this position should be innovative, forward-thinking, professional, thorough, and extremely passionate about combatting systemic injustice and advancing racial equity.
- Reports to: Director, National Racial Equity Initiative
- Directly Supervises: None
- Indirectly Supervises: None
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct to minimal supervision
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with VP, CPAR & LI; Director, NREI; Fellows, Marketing & Communications and Strategic Events Departments to produce maximum marketability and integrated execution of NREI Program
- External Relationships: Corporate sponsors, stakeholders, NREI strategic partners
- Provide oversight of administrative and operational functions for NREI programming, including NREI Summit, Fellow sessions, policy briefings/community conversations.
- Monitor and communicate the process and progress of core programs.
- Support the development of in-person and online policy issue forums throughout the year and during CBCF’s Annual Legislative Conference (ALC).
- Assist with identifying and coordinating speakers and authors for NREI sessions and publications.
- Ensure software functions are accurate and up to date, including website, fellowships, databases, scholarships, Social Justice Ambassadors.
- Assist in the production of persuasive and informative NREI materials, including issue specific policy reports, fact sheets, action alerts, talking points, issue briefs, op-eds, website updates, and recommend communications messaging and strategy.
- Stay abreast of national and regional social justice trends affecting the Black community, particularly in the spaces of criminal justice, education, health equity and economic opportunity.
- Track the progress of priority federal legislation that advances social justice reform with maximum impact in Black communities.
Strategy & Stakeholder Engagement
- Lead the development and implementation of a monitoring and evaluation (M&E) process for each NREI component (Fellowships, Scholarships, Task Force, Research) which assesses areas to improve current and future management of outputs, outcomes, and impact.
- Identify and help build strategic partnerships with stakeholder groups, sponsors, and community organizations to further the mission of the NREI and maximize educational opportunities, branding, and partnership potential.
- Serve as thought partner to the Director, NREI to assist with NREI strategic implementation and growth.
Required Special Skills
- General knowledge of the federal legislative process, the U.S. Congress, the Congressional Black Caucus, and its members, and related policy.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice either through public policy, professional experience, or community-related activism.
- Aptitude and experience in operations and program management.
- Proven strong time management skills, including a high level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through, while balancing and prioritizing multiple activities and responsibilities.
- Ability to translate big-picture thinking into written plans and presentations, and are confident in presenting and advocating those plans both internally and externally.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Ability to effectively manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Serve as a spokesperson, as necessary.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
The Sr. Program Manager must communicate with stakeholders to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. He/She/They must successfully deliver all tasks assigned with exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders. He/She/They must follow and adhere to federal, state, and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Sr. Program Manager.
- Knowledge: Bachelor’s degree required. J.D., Master’s degree or graduate work in public policy, law, social sciences, or related fields preferred; but three years of proven relevant experience or related work can substitute for this preference. Experience in research, programming, planning events and/or administration is a plus.
- Skills and Abilities: Exceptional written and oral communication skills; must be able to multi-task and work well with a variety of people in a fast-paced/ever-changing environment. Ability to maintain a good working relationship with co-workers, contractors, volunteers, and stakeholders. This position requires experience engaging in creative problem solving, taking initiative, while utilizing a solutions-oriented approach and exhibiting flexibility and good judgment. Must also have exceptional organizational and planning skills, proven leadership skills, strong relationship management and be highly detail-oriented with strong follow-through.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Highly proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and overall aptitude for technology and cloud-based software are required. Proficiency with telecommunications devices such as iPads, iPhone and/or Androids preferred.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines, ability to work evening and weekend events and/or off-hours responses as necessary. Some light travel may be required. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities and deliverables.