Position Title: Social/Digital Media Specialist
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
Position Class: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC (remote for 2020)
Prepared: November 2020
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Applicants can visit www.cbcfinc.org to learn more information about CBCF programs, research and initiatives.
CBCF is seeking a Social/Digital Media Specialist to join its MarCom team. The successful candidate will lead all efforts to build and execute CBCF social media and digital communication activities. The ideal candidate is a versatile self-starter who demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong attention to detail, and has a keen awareness to rising innovations and trends in the social and digital media industry. More specifically, a strong candidate will have demonstrated experience in developing, executing, and evaluating platform strategy against CBCF audience and engagement goals. The candidate must be well-versed in platform strategy across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube within an integrated marketing mix. The candidate must be driven by data, building forward-thinking strategy with a results-oriented mentality. A understanding of analytics and social listening tools to drive strategy is critical to this position. Experience in nonprofit fundraising, programs, events and activities is preferred. Copywriting, media relations and some graphic design experience are a plus
- Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: Marketing communications interns, vendors, contractors
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with staff across CBCF teams — including Programs, Resource Development and the Center for Policy Analysis and Research departments
- External Relationships: Congressional staff, vendors, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF strategic priorities.
Social Media Marketing and Digital Communications
- Manage digital marketing strategies across a variety of channels to engage target audiences, including stakeholders and donors. Continuously monitor digital platforms for negative or misinformation, perform sentiment analysis, and escalate problems immediately as necessary. Monitor blogs and work with CBCF blog writers to develop posts and editorial calendar.
- Manage all consultants, agency partners and vendors. Lead negotiation and use of all vendor tools. Knowledge of social listening and social media monitoring tools is critical to the success of the candidate in this role.
- Create multi-platform social media marketing plans for key programs, events, initiatives and day-to-day operations. Create, implement and maintain social media editorial and content calendar. Continuously monitor social media platforms for potential engagement and opportunities for increased visibility as well as to provide prompt responses to direct messages. Serve as a primary point of contact for all departments for digital communications.
- Assist with messaging and branding on CBCF website to improve stakeholder loyalty, drive repeat traffic, event attendance, and increase donor retention rates.
- Develop and execute online strategies that include search engine optimization (SEO), keyword search, and search engine marketing (SEM). Monitor return on investment (ROI) goals for all digital marketing initiatives and adapt strategy as needed.
- Collaborate with graphic designer to produce content relative to the organization’s strategic plan. Oversee the design and functionality of CBCF mobile app and an app for CBCF’s Annual Legislative Conference.
- Maintain archive of social media images.
Market Research, Data Analysis, and Reporting
- Draft quarterly (or as needed) social media reports using KPIs and related metrics.
- Collect data to inform digital marketing campaign strategy, including micro segmentation of email lists and social media communities, i.e., fans, subscribers and followers.
- Implement SEO best practices to improve search engine rank and increase online engagement with stakeholders and prospective donors.
- Research competitors and industry trends, including digital marketing best practices and tools, to maximize digital marketing strategy development and implementation.
- Track and report performance through tools such as market analysis, competitive analysis, social media analytics and Google analytics. Recommend and make campaign adjustments as necessary.
Brand and Reputation Management
- Manage CBCF brand identity guidelines to maintain a positive, lasting impression amongst stakeholders. Reinforce visual identity to promote marketing objectives, drive fundraising and strategically enhance funding opportunities.
- Design various marketing materials to be used across various media platforms.
Marketing Communications and Copywriting
- Produce compelling copy for collateral, audio, video and digital formats for a variety of projects including stakeholder communications, brochures, videos, newsletters, websites; and press releases.
- Monitor media hotline and public-facing email accounts, provide excellent customer service and escalate media and public requests as needed.
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces as necessary (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Complete all responsibilities, duties and other projects as assigned.
- Knowledge: A minimum of 5 years of experience as a Social Media Specialist or a similar role. The candidate must have a track record that has been analytically informed, as evidenced in portfolio of work submitted with application. A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, advertising, public relations or a related field of study is preferred.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Demonstrated experience using social media tracking and analytical tools to guide engagement strategies and increase marketing effectiveness. Hands on knowledge of digital media tools such as Google Ads and Analytics, Hootsuite, Sprout Social and Meltwater, along with experience using digital project management software and mobile applications such as Smartsheet, Asana, Monday.com or Microsoft Teams is required. Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and email marketing applications, such as Constant Contact are required.
- Physical Requirements: The candidate must be able to produce in a fast paced environment with demanding deadline schedules, long hours and on some weekends during peak times. The candidate must work well managing simultaneous priorities.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only: Forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, three work samples (including examples of social media content, writing/editing and digital marketing with evidence of positive and significantly impactful analytics) and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis. Only complete applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls or digital communications accepted.