Position Title: Social Media Specialist
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
Position Class: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: October 2019
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Applicants can visit www.cbcfinc.org to learn more information about CBCF programs, research and initiatives.
CBCF is seeking a Social Media Specialist. The successful candidate will lead all efforts to rebuild and execute CBCF social media and digital communication activities. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in developing, executing and evaluating digital communication strategies and tactics aimed to achieve CBCF goals. The candidate must be well-versed in mobile applications and social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube, to promote nonprofit fundraising, programs, research events and activities. The candidate must be forward-thinking with the ability to cultivate online communities and translate online enthusiasm into offline action. Knowledge of best practices with current and emerging digital platforms is required. Copywriting, media relations and some graphic design experience are a plus.
- Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: Marketing communications interns, vendors, contractors
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with staff across CBCF teams — including Programs, Resource Development and the Center for Policy Analysis and Research departments
- External Relationships: Congressional staff, vendors, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF strategic priorities.
Social Media Marketing and Digital Communications
- Manage digital marketing strategies across a variety of channels (including email, direct mail, social media and mobile) to engage target audiences, including stakeholders and donors. Continuously monitor digital platforms for negative or misinformation, and escalate problems immediately as necessary. Monitor blogs and work with CBCF blog writers to develop posts and editorial calendar.
- Create multi-platform social media marketing plans for key programs, events, initiatives and day-to-day operations. Create, implement and maintain social media editorial and content calendar. Continuously monitor social media platforms for potential engagement and opportunities for increased visibility as well as to provide prompt responses to direct messages. Serve as a primary point of contact for all departments for digital communications.
- Plan, execute and optimize email marketing campaigns for increased engagement. Coordinate distribution schedule of email outreach; explore emerging methods of distribution to media and online audiences
- Cultivate sustained and progressive online engagement, conversations, events, communities and customer service applying innovative digital communications strategies and tactics such as website and social media postings, contests, video/ photo gallery management, multi-media placement and social media events such as Tweet Ups and Instameets.
- Assist with messaging and branding on CBCF website to improve stakeholder loyalty, drive repeat traffic, and increase donor retention rates.
- Develop and execute online strategies that include search engine optimization, keyword search, and search engine marketing. Monitor ROI goals for all digital marketing initiatives and adapt strategy as needed.
- Collaborate with graphic designer to produce content relative to the organization’s strategic plan. Oversee the design and functionality of CBCF mobile app and an app for CBCF’s Annual Legislative Conference.
- Maintain archive of social media images.
Market Research, Data Analysis, and Reporting
- Draft quarterly (or as needed) social media reports using key performance indicators (KPI) and related metrics.
- Collect data to inform digital marketing campaign strategy, including micro segmentation of email lists and social media communities, i.e., fans, subscribers and followers.
- Implement search engine optimization (SEO) best practices to improve search engine rank and increase online engagement with stakeholders and prospective donors.
- Research competitors and industry trends, including digital marketing best practices and tools, to maximize digital marketing strategy development and implementation.
- Track and report performance through tools such as market analysis, competitive analysis, social media analytics and Google analytics. Recommend and make campaign adjustments as necessary.
Brand and Reputation Management
- Manage CBCF brand identity guidelines to maintain a positive, lasting impression amongst stakeholders. Reinforce visual identity to promote marketing objectives, drive fundraising and strategically enhance funding opportunities.
- Design various marketing materials to be used across various media platforms.
Marketing Communications and Copywriting
- Produce compelling copy for collateral, audio, video and digital formats for a variety of projects including stakeholder communications, brochures, videos, newsletters, websites; and press releases.
- Monitor media hotline and public-facing email accounts, provide excellent customer service and escalate media and public requests as needed.
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces as necessary (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Complete all responsibilities, duties and other projects as assigned.
- Knowledge: The candidate must have a track record that has been analytically informed, as evidenced in portfolio of work submitted with application. A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, advertising, public relations or a related field of study is preferred.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Demonstrated experience using social media tracking and analytical tools to guide engagement strategies and increase marketing effectiveness. Hands on experience with website content management systems, e.g., Joomla or WordPress, graphic design and layout experience; and a strong aptitude with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically, InDesign and Photoshop, are also required. Hands on knowledge of digital media tools such as digital photography; and tools used for social content such as Hootsuite, Sprout Social and Meltwater is also mandatory, along with experience using digital project management software and mobile applications such as Smartsheet, Asana or Slack. Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and email marketing applications, such as Constant Contact are required.
- Physical Requirements: The candidate must be able to produce in a fast paced environment with demanding deadline schedules, long hours and on some weekends during peak times. The candidate must work well managing simultaneous priorities.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only: Forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, three work samples (including examples of social media content, writing/editing and digital marketing with evidence of positive and significantly impactful analytics) and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis. Only complete applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls or digital communications accepted.