Position Title: Social Media Specialist
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: July 2019
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are education, public health, economic empowerment and the environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to learn more information about CBCF programs and initiatives.
CBCF is looking for a Social Media Specialist to join its creative Marketing and Communications (MarCom) team. The successful candidate will spearhead the department’s social media and digital communication through the creation of top-notch online campaigns. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating digital communication strategies and tactics (e.g. managing blogs and online communities); and must fully understand how to use social media platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube, to promote nonprofit programs, events and activities. To succeed in this position, he/she must be able to identify fresh, forward-thinking engagement techniques that cultivates online communities and translates online enthusiasm into offline action to advance CBCF’s fundraising and programmatic goals. Excellence in copywriting, familiarity with current and emerging digital platforms, media relations and some graphic design experience are a must.
The Social Media Specialist is responsible for the strategic design, production and execution of digital marketing and social media campaigns. This person will drive messaging across digital and social media platforms to facilitate internal and external communication, and cultivate new interests, opportunities and engagement through brand awareness. The candidate must possess excellent organizational skills with a proven ability to establish and follow timelines, prioritize, multi-task and show meticulous attention to detail. The ideal candidate will manage shifting short-term objectives while achieving long-term project goals. The ability to work independently and take initiative with sound judgment is critical to success in this position.
- Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: Marketing Communication Interns, vendors, contractors
- Type of Supervision Received: Minimal supervision to none.
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with staff across CBCF departments, including Programs, Resource Development and the Center for Policy Analysis and Research, to manage assorted marketing and communications projects.
- External Relationships: Congressional staff, vendors, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF strategic priorities.
Digital Communications and Social Media Marketing
- Manage digital marketing strategies across a variety of channels (including email, direct mail, social media and mobile) to engage target audiences, including stakeholders and donors. Continuously monitor digital platforms for negative or misinformation and escalate problems immediately as necessary. Monitor blogs related to focus areas and work with CBCF blog writers to develop posts and editorial calendar.
- Create multi-platform social media marketing plans for key programs, events and initiatives. Create, implement and maintain social media editorial and content calendar. Continuously monitor social media platforms for potential engagement and opportunities for increased visibility as well as to provide prompt responses to direct messages. Serves as the primary point of contact for all departments for digital communications.
- Plan, execute and optimize email marketing campaigns for increased engagement. Coordinate distribution schedule of email outreach; explore emerging methods of distribution to media and online audiences
- Cultivate sustained and progressive online engagement, conversations, events, communities and customer service applying innovative digital communications strategies and tactics such as website and social media postings, contests, video/ photo gallery management, multi-media placement and social media events such as Tweet Ups and Instameets.
- Manage messaging and branding on CBCF website to improve stakeholder loyalty, drive repeat traffic, and increase donor retention rates.
- Develop and execute online strategies that include search engine optimization, keyword search, and search engine marketing. Monitor ROI goals for all online marketing initiatives and adapt strategy as needed.
- Collaborate with graphic designer to produce media packets, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, and website content relative to the organization’s strategic plan. Oversee the design and functionality of mobile app for CBCF’s Annual Legislative Conference.
- Maintain photo library and make images available to internal/external sources, as needed.
Market Research, Data Analysis, and Reporting
- Draft quarterly (or as needed) social media reports using key performance indicators (KPI) and related metrics.
- Conduct and synthesize research to inform digital marketing campaign strategy, including micro segmentation of email lists and social media communities, i.e., fans, subscribers and followers.
- Implement search engine optimization (SEO) best practices to improve search engine rank and increase online engagement with stakeholders and prospective donors.
- Research competitors and industry trends, including digital marketing best practices, to maximize digital marketing strategy development and implementation.
- Track and report performance through tools such as market analysis, competitive analysis, social media analytics and Google analytics. Recommend and make campaign adjustments as necessary.
Brand and Reputation Management
- Manage CBCF brand identity guidelines to maintain a positive, lasting impression amongst stakeholders. Reinforce visual identity to promote marketing objectives, drive fundraising and strategically enhance funding opportunities.
- Deliver writing and editorial skills consistent with tonal and style guidelines for CBCF. Prepare communications with an emphasis on quality, brand alignment and messaging consistency.
- Design various marketing materials to be used across various media platforms.
- Develop concepts and provide input regarding the design and layout for collateral materials, including CBCF’s annual report, publications, program journals, and sponsor decks to advance CBCF priorities, programs and events.
- Assist graphic designer in the production of collateral materials to ensure proper positioning and congruency with CBCF brand and reputation.
Marketing Communications and Copywriting
- Develop marketing and communications plans to promote CBCF’s brand via graphics, brochures, electronic media, and other promotional materials. Develop promotions schedule for program launches, announcements, special events, campaigns and commemorative days. Lead the development, implementation, marketing and analysis of promotional campaigns.
- Revise and proofread new and existing materials to ensure accuracy of information, spelling and grammar. Collaborate with graphic designer to create presentations, brochures, fact sheets, newsletters, signage, flyers and other collateral for distribution through a range of media, including but not limited to: advertising and marketing, US postal mail, email, web and social media.
- Produce compelling copy for collateral, audio, video, and digital formats for a variety of projects including: customer communications, brochures, videos, newsletters, websites; and draft press releases.
- Streamline content development process by working with various departments to gather information on a regular and timely basis.
- Prepare talking points and briefing materials for principals. Edit and write correspondence, reports and presentations across all forms of media.
- Monitor media hotline and public-facing email accounts, provide excellent customer service and escalate media and public requests as needed.
- Communicate effectively and professionally in all forms of communication with internal and external customers. Write compelling and engaging copy with clear calls to action which supports the deliverables of integrated marketing plans.
- Prepare communications with an emphasis on quality, accuracy, brand alignment and messaging consistency.
- Manage digital content creation, development and publication. Direct all stages for print and digital publications, including creative brief, initial design, mid-stage development and final production.
- Lead promotions and social media campaigns through content-owner assignments.
- Develop and sustain collateral traffic management across departments, demonstrating excellent internal customer service. Deliver projects on time and on or under budget.
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Complete all responsibilities, duties and other projects as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives; as well as provide exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Social Media Specialist. The Social Media Specialist must prepare communications with an emphasis on quality, accuracy, brand alignment and messaging consistency.
- Knowledge: The candidate must have a minimum of 4-6 years of digital marketing and communications experience dealing with diverse issues and managing multiple priorities. A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, advertising, public relations or a related field of study is required. Candidate must possess knowledge of online marketing campaigns, including email, mobile and social media marketing in a nonprofit, corporate or agency setting. Knowledge of public policy and familiarity with the federal legislative process and current political environment is required.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Demonstrated experience using social media tracking and analytical tools to guide engagement strategies and track results. Hands on experience with website content management systems, e.g., Joomla or WordPress, graphic design and layout experience; and a strong aptitude with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically, InDesign and Photoshop, are also required. Hands on knowledge of digital media tools such as digital photography and tools used for social content is also mandatory, along with experience using digital project management software and mobile applications such as Smartsheet, Asana or Slack. Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and email marketing applications, such as Constant Contact are required.
- Skills and Abilities: This position requires exceptional writing, organizational and interpersonal skills, including perfect grammar and composition rules required for creating, editing and proofreading materials. The candidate must be able to manage shifting short-term/long-term priorities at the same time. He or she must also possess excellent project management skills with the ability to manage multi-phased projects with precision and flexibility to meet tight deadlines. Proven ability to thrive in a team environment; provide customer service; and demonstrate project ownership.
This position requires the ability to represent CBCF with attention to details, customer care and responsiveness. The Social Media Specialist must also possess requisite skills and abilities to communicate deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Physical Requirements: The candidate must be able to produce in a fast paced environment with demanding deadline schedules, long hours and on some weekends during peak times. The candidate must work well managing simultaneous priorities.
- Required Special Skills:
- Effectively communicate the Marketing and Communications department deliverables to a diverse audience across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Strong familiarity with the federal legislative process and political environment.
- Ability to effectively negotiate contracts and proposals, with consultants and vendors, for the maximum benefit of the CBCF.
- Proven project management skills and experience in designing, managing and delivering high quality projects on time.
- Superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats, to include social media, briefings, reports, media, articles and blogs.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only: Forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, three work samples (including examples of social media content, writing/editing and digital marketing) and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis. Only complete applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls accepted.