Position Title: Sr. Manager, Strategic Events
Department: External Affairs
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Prepared: May 17, 2021
- Reports to: Vice President, Strategic Events
- Directly Supervises: Vendors/consultants directly related to Sr. Manager’s assigned events/projects.
- Indirectly Supervises: Vendors, service consultants and collaborates with point of contact for client departments.
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct to minimal supervision
- Internal Relationships: Work closely with all CBCF departments.
- External Relationships: Vendors, consultants, policy session producers, third party session producers. There will also be some interaction with Members of Congress and their staff, CBC Spouses, CBCF Board of Directors, CBCF Donors and Supporters, Executives and key staff of organizations with whom CBCF partners, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF priorities.
A. Essential Functions
- Deliver flawless event execution and engagement with colleagues, vendors and internal/external stakeholders.
- Manage and execute programming and logistical needs from start to finish and work alongside CBCF’s Center for Policy Analysis and Research to develop or facilitate the development of event programmatic content for live and virtual events throughout the CBCF event season.
- Manage logistical and session recording/management and production needs for Annual Legislative Conference for approximately 80 sessions and events. This includes serving as a primary point of contact and source of accurate and timely information for session producers, event sponsors and other stakeholders.
- General logistics responsibilities include (but are not limited to): speaker/panelist management, vendor support, virtual platform and user experience design, registration support, guest list management and invitation processes, live and pre-recorded production scheduling, visual asset management for virtual events in addition to site selection, session location assignments, food and beverage, signage, decor, travel/transportation and freight coordination, and the briefing and participation of event participants.
- Manage and/or co-manage events during evening, weekends and holidays as necessary or assigned.
- Develop and/or facilitate development, recording, and post-production of compelling programmatic and/or entertainment content to design best in class events and conferences in live settings or virtual platforms.
- Distribute run of show, talking points and/or scripts to all program participants and participate in pre-production meetings and trainings. Produce participant briefing books/documents and conduct participant briefing for scripted event participants.
- Manages all aspects of exhibit management for a mid-sized show of 18,000 – 32,900 net square feet. Develops and implements innovative concepts to attract and maintain new exhibitors for the purpose of increasing the size of the ALC Exhibit Showcase and draw attendee traffic into the exhibit hall.
- Coordinate engagement with internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Facilitate responses from stakeholder groups using evaluations/surveys.
- Manage or co-manage events/special projects during evening, weekends and holidays as requested or assigned.
- Produce quarterly and post-event reports to demonstrate outcomes relative to established goals.
- Work with Marketing/Communications department on event and conference related marketing and communications needs.
- Conduct and lead event/project team meetings as necessary.
B. Additional Functions
- Ability to effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Ability to effectively manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned.
C. Required Special Skills
- Effective communication of External Affairs deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Ability to effectively negotiate contracts and proposals, with consultants and vendors, for the maximum benefit of the CBCF.
- Proven project management skills and experience in designing, managing and delivering high quality projects on time.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats, to include briefings, reports and presentations.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Sr. Manager must successfully deliver all tasks to which he/she has been assigned with exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders. Incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Sr. Manager.
- Knowledge: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. / B.S.) from four-year college or university; or a minimum or 3-5 years related experience and/or training. Certified Meetings Professional (CMP), Certified in Exhibition Management (CEM), or Digital Event Strategist (DES) designations strongly preferred. Experience in event planning, exhibition management and project management required. Must demonstrate extraordinary customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Advanced skills in event technology such as audio/visual equipment, webinars, event and fundraising platforms, and event registration platforms required. Advance proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Access, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. In addition to Adobe, PowerPoint, Cadmium CD, ExpoCad, Social Tables or other similar CAD/diagramming solution. Production and content editing experience strongly preferred.
- Skills and Abilities: Exceptional written and oral communication skills; must be able to multi-task and work well with a variety of people in a fast-paced/ever-changing environment. This position requires initiative, particular attention to details, proven management and leadership skills, strong relationship management skills, solid planning and organizational skills, exceptional negotiating abilities, , and advanced skill in Microsoft Access, Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Must have excellent communication skills and a positive, team-oriented approach. Strong contract negotiating skills required. Exhibit management experience is a plus. Must be able to work evenings, weekends or holidays based on the needs of the event/project.
- Physical Requirements: Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast paced environment with strict deadlines, ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel with little advanced notice. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities. The ability to handle significant amount of stress is an essential function of this position.