Position Title: Vice President, Integrated Marketing and Communications
Department: Marketing and Communications
Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Incorporated (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing public policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are education, public health, economic empowerment and the environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to learn more information about CBCF programs and initiatives.
Reporting to the President and CEO and serving as the most senior integrated marketing and communications leader, the Vice President of Marketing and Communications (Vice President) is a member of the senior management team and will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of all marketing, event management and communications strategies designed to protect, promote and build the identity and reputation of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Incorporated (CBCF). The Vice President will serve as a thought leader to the President to shape the future of the organization by providing innovative ideas and measurable results; and also contribute to CBCF’s organizational strategy to help grow and expand CBCF’s visibility and influence.
The Vice President will develop a world-class communications and marketing strategy, building a plan for the CBCF and awareness around the work it undertakes to eliminate disparities in the global Black community. This leader will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations and marketing activities to drive the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership, while showcasing CBCF’s brand, impact and contributions. The Vice President will contribute to CBCF’s revenue and funding potential by serving as a primary spokesperson for the organization and championing new ideas as a member of the senior management team.
This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to have and cultivate relationships with national, regional and local media. The goal is to advance the organization’s mission with relevant constituents inside and outside the Washington, D.C. Beltway in order to drive broader program awareness and donor support for the organization. The Vice President will be responsible for CBCF’s integrated communications deliverables and services including: annual report, newsletters, sponsorship brochures and other print publications; platform and digital strategy; all stakeholder communication; media (traditional and digital,) public relations; marketing and social networking/engagement. The Vice President will direct communication policies (internal and external) and all digital and platform strategy necessary to maintain quality control for all written and published materials as well as the public positioning of CBCF’s initiatives.
The Vice President will be responsible for ensuring high levels of social campaign effectiveness and efficiency. In addition to the overarching marketing and communications plan, this leader will build out a content strategy and connected stories that tie back to the CBCF’s central narrative. This plan should educate and share useful information that engages our audiences and directs them to participate in CBCF programs and initiatives. Each platform should activate their own strategy with the targeted personas and the tone and voice of the individual platforms should ladder up to the CBCF brand in a synchronized vision.
In addition, the Vice President will oversee the logistics management and execution of major events including the Annual Legislative Conference (ALC); the Mervyn L. and Stephanie Tubbs Jones Scholarship Classic; and the Executive Economic Summit Series. This includes oversight for planning and on-site management; as well as oversight of contract negotiations; barter agreements; venue, registration and housing; and event production, under the management of multi-functional teams and partners. He/she will focus on increasing attendance to drive events to the next level, while controlling the operating budget. The successful candidate will be a visionary leader with exceptional planning and decision making abilities; and clear direction to motivate and drive engagement.
Marketing and Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic marketing and communications plan to advance CBCFs brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs and research across key stakeholder audiences.
- Develop and implement a strategic social media and engagement strategy in order to facilitate an effective CBCF presence across all mediums to include CBCF website, affiliated sites, blogs, electronic newsletters and all social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube Smartphone Apps and other innovate technologies.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy which will allow CBCF leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including mainstream and minority media as well as key influencers in the academic, health and business communities.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with the senior management team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and develop and execute strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counselor to CBCF President and CEO.
- Oversee development of all CBCF print communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including CBCF website and social media; manage relationship with associated vendors.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person with journalists and bloggers on behalf of CBCF to help promote and positively position the organization.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as required.
- Lead all earned, owned and paid social and digital strategy by creating an editoral calendar and playbook.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding CBCF research, programs, special events, public announcements and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications department including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Develop and implement monitoring and tracking systems to ensure CBCF is able to monitor trends which may positively or negatively impact the CBCF and its stakeholders as well as the global black community.
- Develop approaches to help measure communications strategy and challenges and opportunities related to CBCF’s marketing positioning. Make necessary changes to facilitate improvements.
- Oversee design and visual imagery used in communications and marketing materials to ensure proper positioning of CBCF brand identity and reputation.
Event Management and Oversight
- Oversee and help define, plan, and manage all logistics for the Annual Legislative Conference; Scholarship Classic; and Executive Economic Summit. Ensure PCEO and Management Team (MT) is kept abreast of key decisions necessary to ensure a strong CBCF presence, partnership and flawless execution.
- Provide leadership for negotiation of venues, travel, and other logistical needs; and assist with identifying or recommending speakers, talent and/or notable awardees. Oversee proposals, contracts, and consultant agreements, for various events and/or annual conference sessions to ensure compliance with CBCF policies, protocols; and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Take ownership and responsibility for the success of all major events. Partner with and drive cross-functional teams including staff, consultants, vendors and other stakeholders to foster a seamless operation with keen attention to detail, communication, transparency and cohesion. Ensure the communications and marketing strategies align with the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Monitor measure and define the success of events against company goals. Create key performance indicators to develop a successful model for planning, executing and measuring events to drive revenue and visibility. Assess, modify and recommend changes to ensure executional excellence, customer satisfaction, and fiduciary and operational sustainability.
- Provide excellent customer service, critical thinking and problem solving ability; and stakeholder engagement opportunities.
- Manage two directors with responsibility for event planning and marketing and communication strategies. Demonstrate strong interpersonal, leadership skills and tactical support to the team.
- Promote a culture of high performance, quality, values and professional development.
- Mentor and develop staff using a consistent supportive and collaborative approach.
- Establish, supervise and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities; conduct annual performance reviews and administer salary adjustments
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Create an environment supportive of equal employment opportunity.
- Effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Manage and balance administrative responsibilities to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Complete all responsibilities, duties and other projects as assigned.
Required Special Skills
- Effective communication of Marketing and Communications deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Strong familiarity with the federal legislative process and political environment.
- Ability to effectively negotiate contracts and proposals, with consultants and vendors, for the maximum benefit of the CBCF.
- Proven project management skills and experience in designing, managing and delivering high quality projects on time.
- Superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats, to include briefings, reports, media, articles and blogs.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Vice President, Marketing and Communications must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Vice President, Marketing and Communications.
Knowledge: A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations or a related field of study is required. The candidate must have a minimum of 8 –10 years of communications and writing experience and skills dealing with diverse issues, managing high-profile principals; high performance teams; and compelling events. Must have a minimum of 5 years of event management experience. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of success in leading executive communications and managing media campaigns in a corporate, agency, or nonprofit setting. The Vice President must be a confident, strategic thinker who can deliver and produce planned initiatives with maturity and professionalism. Incumbent will be extremely resourceful to get things done; and be flexible and highly responsive to business needs, opportunities and challenges. Prior Capitol Hill or corporate communications experience is strongly preferred. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Experience with Vocus media database and other Marketing and Communications software in addition to Smartsheet are a plus.
- Skills and Abilities: This position requires exceptional writing, editing, media relations, research and interpersonal skills. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including perfect grammar and composition rules required for creating, editing and proofreading materials. The candidate must be able to manage shifting short-term and long-term priorities at the same time. He or she must also possess excellent project management skills with the ability to manage multi-phased projects with precision and flexibility. Experience in managing high performance teams, high-profile events and/or conferences are required.Additionally, the successful candidate must be skilled at influencing and engaging senior-level executives on marketing and communications goals; have a commitment to working at a mission—driven organization, confident decision-maker with sound judgment with an eye towards the most important drivers of success, self-starter and drives to achieve results. Ability to design team structures, division of labor, new systems and work flows.
- Physical Requirements: The candidate must be able to work in a fast paced environment with demanding deadline schedules, long hours, some evenings and weekends during peak times. The candidate must work well under pressure, exercising tact and diplomacy while producing favorable results.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references, until position is filled, using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls accepted.