This position is closed.
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc. (CBCF) is a nonprofit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global Black community by developing leaders, informing policy, and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are education, public health, economic empowerment, and the environment.
CBCF seeks an experienced and visionary Graphic Design Specialist to creatively shape, lead, and manage its brand to attract and engage new audiences while appealing to diverse stakeholders. The Graphic Design Specialist will be an innovative designer who uses sleek and compelling imagery to communicate messages effectively. The ideal candidate considers every aspect of visual experience in their design process, and ultimately, their designs capture attention, compel audiences, evoke feelings, and clearly convey concepts and ideas. The Graphic Design Specialist will have experience with web and mobile technology; and will work with CBCF’s webmaster to maintain the recently redesigned website. They will engage with the creative staff to formulate and pitch design concepts while servicing internal clients to produce annual reports, logos, signage, books, and other communication materials in a way that drives, compels, and complements CBCF’s marketing strategies. The Graphic Design Specialist must be knowledgeable about typography, color, and production; and nimble enough to meet tight deadlines within budget.
The Graphic Design Specialist implements CBCF’s public relations and marketing campaigns via print and digital project design. With a keen focus on CBCF’s public image, the Graphic Design Specialist helps to draw the public’s attention to CBCF’s research, programs, and events through creative design and imagery. They will advance CBCF’s agenda through high-profile campaigns for CBCF’s different programs, including the Center for Policy Analysis and Research, Leadership Institute, Avoice, Annual Legislative Conference, and other community-based initiatives. They support CBCF’s reputation management efforts through creative digital and print materials, designed to engage a broad range of external stakeholders including board members, donors, event attendees, prospective interns/fellows/scholarship recipients, collaborative partners and the general public. The ideal candidate is a highly talented, self-starter with skills and creativity to produce engaging print and digital branding collateral.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Graphic Design Specialist works collaboratively with members of the Marketing and Communications team on a variety of multi-channel public relations and marketing campaigns that broaden the impact of CBCF’s efforts. As an integral member of the team, They produce logo/collateral design, e-newsletters, and social media graphics for program/event materials. They must be able to conceptualize, design, and produce high-quality print and digital products on time; and be reliable, communicative, innovative, and customer service oriented
- Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
- Directly Supervises: N/A
- Indirectly Supervises: N/A
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct supervision to minimal.
- Internal Relationships: Close relationships with staff across CBCF departments — specifically Resource Development, the Center for Policy Analysis and Research and the Programs Departments — to coordinate assorted marketing and communications projects.
- External Relationships: Congressional staff, vendors, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF strategic priorities.
- Ensure a consistent, impactful, and effective visual identity to solidify a lasting impression of CBCF’s collateral.
- Assist in acclimating new employees to the use of everyday collateral, templates, and color and typography branding rules for everyday documents.
- Support the branding strategy to increase public awareness of the CBCF’s mission, vision, and core values through technology and design trends.
- Create, design, and produce brand collateral to reinforce CBCF’s identity including website banner advertisements; virtual event platform branding/skinning; mobile designs; logo development (and other identity elements); and manuals, print/digital collateral, and display signage.
- Work with the team to brainstorm creative content ideas that communicate the message and engages the target audience.
- Ensure proper finishing techniques, paper selection, and necessary printing knowledge to produce several types of projects.
- Stay current on emerging technologies and applications to enhance ongoing processes and productivity.
- Produce quality projects quickly and efficiently. Review project deliverables, organize work plans, and track priorities against timetables and stakeholder needs.
- Keep the Director, Marketing and Communications abreast of any items for which feedback or further action is needed.
- Provide a high level of customer service communication with internal clients with regard to project concept, delivery, and completion.
- Assist with maintenance and creative development of website modules, internet marketing, and other electronic deliverables.
- Properly maintain inventory of final design projects including marketing collateral, branded products, promotional materials, and artwork/photos in a centralized and accessible brand management system.
- Ensure organized files and adhere to file structure nomenclature.
- Liaise with CBCF staff and marketing vendors to ensure quality production and timely delivery of marketing materials.
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large-scale events and projects.
- Effectively manage and balance administrative responsibilities with the capacity to deliver against organizational goals and objectives.
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned.
Required Special Skills:
- Effective communication of Marketing and Communications Department deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Familiarity with the federal legislative process and political environment.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level, and provide exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Graphic Design Specialist must follow and adhere to federal, state, and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Graphic Designer.
- Knowledge: Requirements include a fully accredited bachelor’s degree in graphic design, marketing, brand management, business, advertising, communications, or related field and 5-7 years of increasing experience in graphic design or branding. Candidate must possess experience in successfully designing digital and print collateral; managing print publications process; collaborating with multiple parties (e.g., staff, freelance designers and outside vendors) on large projects; conceptualizing identities through the use of logos, layout, and color palette; and using a wide range of media, including photography and computer-aided design. Must have a comprehensive knowledge of graphic design principles, production methods, and digital transmission.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Requires expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Candidate must also have hands-on experience in video and photo editing as well as website content management systems. Familiarity with email marketing applications, such as but not limited to Constant Contact or Luminate is a plus.
- Skills and Abilities: This position requires exceptional graphic design skills as well as strong writing and project management acumen. The ability to juggle multiple graphic design projects for both print and digital publication is a must. Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills to effectively plan and organize their work to ensure that all projects are delivered on time. A portfolio must be provided.
- Physical Requirements: This job is primarily sedentary. Some walking and standing may occur in the course of a normal workday in connection with travel to and from meetings, events and conferences. The candidate may also carry light items such as reports, data products and notebooks. The candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demanding deadline schedules. They must work well under pressure, exercising tact and diplomacy while managing simultaneous priorities. May be required to work long hours, weekends, and do light travel.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis. Only completed applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls accepted.