This position is closed.
The Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a prominent nonprofit organization playing a critical role in ensuring a future that is more equitable and just. As a leading nonpartisan public policy, research and educational institute, the CBCF seeks to advance the global black community.
As the current President & CEO plans her transition out of the organization, the Board of Directors looks forward to identifying a dynamic leader to drive the organization in this next chapter.
The next President & CEO will lead and inspire a team of high-performing leaders and staff as they create and implement plans to carry out the organization’s mission and achieve strategic goals. The President & CEO is the steward of the brand and mission of the organization, acting to build, enhance and leverage the power of relationships and networks across the private, public, and corporate sectors to procure support and needed resources, including financial resources, for the organization to further its mission. The President & CEO is responsible for building trust, protecting, and enhancing the reputation of the CBCF.
This is an exciting and incredible opportunity for an extraordinary executive to collaborate with a diversity of internal and external stakeholders to drive important impact across the nation and globe.
WHO WE ARE
We are risk-takers, change makers and creative thinkers, and we are here to make a difference.
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a nonprofit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment.
The mission of the CBCF is to advance the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy, and educating the public.
We envision a world in which all communities have an equal voice in public policy through leadership cultivation, economic empowerment, and civic engagement.
The CBCF is achieving this mission by:
- Facilitating the exchange of ideas and information to address critical issues affecting our communities.
- Providing leadership development and scholarship opportunities to educate the next generation of leaders.
- Promoting public health and financial empowerment for all communities through innovative programs.
- Developing strategic research and historical resources for the public, academics, educators, and students.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
In partnership with the Board of Directors, the President & CEO is responsible for providing vision and strategic leadership to the CBCF. The President & CEO inspires and motivates internal and external audiences, leads with clarity and purpose, expands the organization’s supporters, engenders a positively engaged and inclusive culture, and demonstrates a strong commitment towards the mission.
Primary responsibilities of the President & CEO include:
- Serves as the chief executive of the organization, working to ensure strategic and operational effectiveness of the CBCF.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the CBCF Board of Directors and collaborates with the Board to develop comprehensive strategic goals for the organization.
- Collaborates with the CBCF staff to create tactical plans to accomplish the strategic goals.
- Sets and measures targets to determine effectiveness of organization’s efforts to meet strategic goals and to impact the community.
- Serves as an inspirational leader who cultivates, motivates, and develops a highly effective and engaged professional staff who actively support and further the mission of the CBCF.
- Ensures development, assessment, and enhancement of programs and related organizational activities designed to further the objectives of the CBCF.
- Inspirational marketer and fundraiser for the organization — responsible for creating and successfully executing fundraising programs that increase revenue and financial support from a variety of sources to drive financial stability for the organization and its programs.
- Effectively oversees the day-to-day administration of CBCF, including formulation, administration, and management of the annual budget to ensure that the organization’s activities are carried out.
- Develops strong relationships with key constituents driving alignment toward the mission of the organization.
- Builds and works to enhance the reputation and brand of the CBCF.
- Drives accountability, efficiency, credibility, and organizational effectiveness for the CBCF and its key constituents.
- Other related or assigned duties as may arise for the benefit of the organization and its mission.
WHO YOU ARE
The President & CEO will be a dynamic and inspiring executive with a genuine passion for the CBCF’s mission. The ideal candidate will be motivated to serve, bringing vision and a compelling voice to positively influence the effectiveness of the CBCF in achieving its objectives.
Candidates ideally will possess the following qualifications:
- An accomplished professional with at least 10 years of senior leadership experience, ideally in a C-suite role.
- Nonprofit experience for five or more years (may include senior leadership roles on a nonprofit board).
- Demonstrated business and financial acumen, including familiarity with budgeting and financial reports, and working with key stakeholders to manage fiscal and fiduciary accountability.
- Ability to attract, hire, lead, and motivate top talent with great soft skills; track record of developing and empowering a dynamic group of professionals, entrusting and amplifying the work of others.
- Fundraising or other applicable revenue generating experience. Endowment and capital campaign experience is ideal.
- Great relationship builder with complex stakeholder management experience, and ability to easily earn respect, trust, and confidence.
- Ability to manage and engage high profile media.
- Strategic planning experience and energetic implementer of services, programs, and strategic partnerships.
- Intelligent decision maker, with a flair for innovation and ability to manage strategically with knowledge of cutting-edge principles and best practices.
- Highly collaborative with a tolerance for ambiguity and complexity.
- Diplomatic, tactful, politically sophisticated, and collaborative problem solver.
- Excellent spokesperson and public speaker with exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines, and ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership. Must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner.
- Demonstrated passion for the Black Community and an understanding of politics and public policy.
Undergraduate degree required. MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time.
KORN FERRY CONTACTS
Managing Partner, Washington, DC
Nonprofit Practice Leader
Phone Number: (202) 955-0901
Senior Client Partner
Phone Number: (240) 381-7526
Phone Number: (202) 955-0902
Board & CEO/Government Affairs Practice
Phone Number: (202) 955-0926
Government Affairs/Nonprofit Practices
Phone Number: (209) 922-6549