Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Date Prepared: December 2021
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org to view more information on CBCF’s programs and initiatives.
Reporting to the Director/Head of Finance, the Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for assisting with the operational and fiscal activities of the department including accounting transaction processing. He/she will assist with implementing policies and procedures to improve the operating quality, and efficiency of the department. The incumbent must understand, administer, and articulate all Foundation accounting policies and procedures required for operations.
- Reports to: Director/Head of Finance
- Directly Supervises: None
- Indirectly Supervises: None
- Type of Supervision Received: Moderate supervision
- Internal Relationships: Interact with all CBCF departments and CBCF employees
- External Relationships: Consultants and vendors
Financial and Operational Management
1. Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, federal and state regulations.
2. Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
3. Prepare general ledger entries by maintaining records and files.
4. Review and process accounts payable payments. Post accounts payable journals to the general ledger.
5. Ensure timely filling of tax forms 1099 to applicable federal and local taxing authorities and also distribution of the 1099 forms to vendors.
6. Received and process direct deposit and W-9 forms from vendors.
7. Ensure timely and accurate processing of invoices and correspond with vendors to ensure timely payments. Prepare invoices and send to sponsors.
8. All other task and duties assigned by Director, Finance and COO/CFO.
- Complete all responsibilities for other duties and projects as assigned.
Required Special Skills
1. Effective communication of the finance and accounting department deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
2. Good oral and written communication and presentation skills.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Accounts Payable Specialist must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Accounts Payable Specialist.
- Knowledge: Requires a BA/BS in Accounting preferred; Three years prior experience in the accounting/financial reporting field preferred. General understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Experience with governmental/non-profit accounting principles and procedures. Must be PC proficient and experienced with accounting systems. Strong verbal and written communication skills, business skills and related competencies. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required. Must possess the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced work environment with attention to detail and accuracy. The candidate must have experience dealing with specialized accounting work required to maintain the Foundation’s general ledger.
- Skills and Abilities: Experience using Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge or similar accounting software is required. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience using Smartsheet or other project management software is helpful. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform a variety of tasks; and each essential duty satisfactorily. This position requires exceptional attention to detail; as well as precise written and oral communication skills.
- Physical Requirements: Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast paced environment strict deadlines, and ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time.