This position is closed.
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global Black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are education, public health, economic empowerment and the environment.
The Director, Marketing and Communications will direct all aspects of marketing and communications for the department. They will provide visionary leadership to promote CBCF’s programs and initiatives using innovative print, digital, and social media strategies to attract new participants, partners and supporters. They will communicate and market across multi-media platforms to increase community awareness and engagement; attract and inform stakeholders and supporters; and drive donor funding and individual giving support.
The Director will help to expand CBCF’s reach and influence among its diverse stakeholder groups through creative imagery and storytelling via the use of videos, infographics, blogs; and key messaging to convey the organization’s mission, goals, and success. The incumbent must be knowledgeable, enthusiastic and technically savvy to readily produce and populate information with insight and impact. They will oversee all communications and media strategy including website and social media. The successful candidate will be a functional marketing or communications expert with excellent verbal and written ability to engage diverse audiences in business, media, social and public relations communication. They will ensure a professional image and high-quality marketing deliverables; and must utilize target marketing, segmentation, and related data/reporting to drive results.
The Director will be a forward-thinking leader with exceptional organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail who sees what needs to be done and moves forward with the creative team and subject matter experts to help shape the messaging. The incumbent must have a strong work ethic and drive with impeccable project management skills that maximize efficiencies and execution of marketing deliverables; and possess budget and financial management experience. Nonprofit management experience is desirable. The position reports to the Vice President, Marketing and Communications.
- Reports to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
- Directly Supervises: Consultants, vendors.
- Directly Supervises: Graphic Designer and Social Media Specialist
- Type of Supervision Received: Minimal supervision to none
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with staff across all CBCF departments, specifically with the Resource and Development, Research, and Programs Departments, to manage and execute marketing opportunities for CBCF, its public policy forums, events, programs and campaigns.
- External Relationships: CBC members, consultants, vendors, donors, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF strategic priorities.
A. Essential Functions
Marketing and Brand Management
- Develop, direct and execute the marketing and brand strategy for all collateral including print, digital and social media platforms. Manage, refine and align messages consistent with segmented audience, avenue and/or scope.
- Build the brand across all platforms including marketing CBCF to the media, stakeholder audiences, and general community to enhance brand awareness, brand identity and public perception. Partner with development, programs, and policy staff to craft strategy relevant to execution with targeted stakeholder groups.
- Strengthen message to convey impact and outcomes in the community. Ensure uniform messaging across internal and external platforms to foster factual information, brand appeal, elevator speech, and stimulate ongoing cultivation/outreach opportunities among prospective stakeholders and supporters.
- Manage the creative team and oversee design concepts, market and target results and make appropriate adjustments. Proactively engage other departments through brainstorming teams to further explore marketing and outreach strategies.
- Oversee projects working collaboratively and effectively across departments demonstrating teamwork at all levels of the organization.
- Maintain a database of vendor contacts, noteworthy activities, and CBCF “success stories” to support on-going value, relevance and record of historical contributions and results.
Communications, Media Relations and Outreach
- Develop, oversee and/or execute a comprehensive communication strategy to advance CBCF’s mission, goals and objectives. Collaborate with the Resource Development, Programs, or other departments to streamline communication tactics, tailor programmatic content, and diversify funding opportunities through targeted messaging.
- Review all department communication. Write and edit copy for printed and digital communications, including but not limited to reports, media materials, CBCF website content, blogs, video scripts, annual reports, and copy for PSAs, marketing collateral (brochures) and other promotional products.
- Uniform messaging across departments to codify program information, research facts, and program goals and success to demonstrate a positive image of the CBCF to external and internal stakeholders. Work with program leads to facilitate ongoing updates and market positioning.
- Monitor coverage of the CBCF newspapers, industry publications, and blogs. Keep the CEO and Executive Communications team appraised of relevant information, and assist in formulating responses as needed. Serve as the on and off-the-record spokesperson for the organization, formulating media responses, solutions and follow-up in coordination with the Executive Communications team.
- Devise media plans with implementation timeline, execution steps, and content requirements. Oversee content, media, and production calendars to ensure timely delivery. Serve as the primary media point of contact, overseeing management of the email@example.com email address and CBCF media hotline.
- Promote the foundation in local, national, and international markets by identifying newsworthy stories and pitching these to the appropriate media: print, radio, television, and online publications
- Write news releases, media advisories, email pitches and other communication products for media consumption. Identify public policy issues in the media that can be leveraged to support CBCF’s work. Pitch timely, newsworthy stories to the media. Cultivate strategic relationships with media reporters, journalists, producers and editors.
- Establish and execute a coordinated photography plan for CBCF’s program and events that includes onsite photoshoot management as well as archiving, storing, promoting and sharing photos with stakeholders (Members of Congress, sponsors and partners).
Team Development / Management
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach. Coach and provide constructive feedback to promote professional development and growth.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning. Set objectives, establish priorities, and evaluate staff performance.
- Manage staff and consultant (s) and/or vendor(s) and related contract(s) in connection with large scale events.
- Create an environment supportive of equal employment opportunity.
B. Additional Functions
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Effectively manage and balance administrative responsibilities and deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned.
Responsibility For Accuracy/Accountability
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Director, Marketing and Communications must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Director, Marketing and Communications.
- Knowledge: Requirements include a fully accredited Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, English or related field. Must possess a minimum of seven years demonstrated professional services in marketing and/or communication role. Thorough understanding of public relations, marketing or communication principles and related strategic planning is mandatory. Must be a confident leader with coaching and supervisory experience. Requires excellent written and verbal communications skills and strong proofreading and copywriting. Strong project management and analytical skills with demonstrated ability to set priorities and meet competing deadlines. Strong knowledge of public policy, federal legislative process and political environment is required. Must have experience in multi-media storytelling. Proven experience engaging and cultivating thriving online communities is a plus. Nonprofit work experience is preferred. Creative design or artistic ability is a plus.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and email marketing applications such as but not limited to iContact or Constant Contact are required. Hands-on experience with website content management systems like Joomla, WordPress or Drupal is preferred. Fluency with project management tools such as Smartsheet, Monday.com, Asana, Microsoft Teams as well as and media management tools like Hootsuite, Sprout Social, and Meltwater is required. Familiarity with Adobe InDesign or Photoshop is not required but a plus.
- Skills and Abilities: Must be a goal-oriented, creative thinker, and self-starter who can conceptualize and deliver on ideas with impeccable attention to detail; and work independently without direction or with a team to drive projects, production or markets forward. The position requires exceptional writing, editing and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate is someone who is a strategic, big-picture thinker who can dive into the details, when necessary; stimulate internal and external stakeholder engagement; and build momentum for marketing campaigns while telling the story.
- Required Special Skills: The Director, Marketing and Communications must also possess the following special skills: effective communication of department deliverables to multiple constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external); ability to effectively negotiate contracts and proposals, with consultants and vendors, for the maximum benefit of the CBCF; proven project management skills and experience in designing, managing and delivering high-quality projects on time; superb oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats, to include briefings, reports, media, articles and blogs. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification strongly recommended, but not required.
- Physical Requirements: The candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demanding deadline schedules, long hours, some evenings and weekends during peak times. The candidate must work well under pressure, exercising tact and diplomacy and managing simultaneous priorities.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only: forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, portfolio and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis. Only completed applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls accepted.