This position is closed.
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org to view more information on CBCF’s programs and initiatives.
Reporting to the COO/CFO, the Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for assisting with the operational and fiscal activities of the department including accounting transaction processing and financial reporting. He/she will assist with planning and developing policies and procedures to improve the operating quality, and efficiency of the department. The incumbent must understand, administer, and articulate all Foundation accounting policies and procedures required for operations.
- Reports to: COO/CFO
- Directly Supervises: None
- Indirectly Supervises: None
- Type of Supervision Received: Minimal supervision
- Internal Relationships: Interact with all CBCF departments and CBCF employees
- External Relationships: Consultants and vendors
Financial and Operational Management
- Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, federal and state regulations. Recommend new and revised accounting policies, procedures and internal controls based on evolving needs. Ensure policies and procedures are well documented and updated timely. Assist employees with questions related to accounting procedures and practices.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure. Ensure that all financial reporting deadlines are met, and monthly departmental reports are distributed timely.
- Prepare general ledger entries by maintaining records and files. Post accounts receivable and revenue journals entries from the subledger to the general ledger.
- Reconcile and or analyze the assigned balance sheet and income statement accounts such as the accounts receivable control account and revenue. Work with the respective departments to investigate and clear reconciling items.
- Responsible for entering all accounts payable invoices in the Financial Edge and preparing weekly accounts payable open invoice reports to ensure timely payments by the CFO/COO.
- Ensure timely filling of tax forms 1099 to applicable federal and local taxing authorities and also distribution of the 1099 forms to vendors.
- Meet accounting financial objectives by forecasting requirements; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; and initiating corrective actions. Maintain fixed assets record.
- Receive and process direct deposit and W-9 forms from vendors.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of invoices and correspond with vendors to ensure timely payments. Prepare invoices and send to sponsors.
- Obtain and reconcile investment account for the endowment funds. Create the monthly accounting journals for interest, other earnings and transfers to and from the account. Ensure that all transfers are in accordance with the approved spending policy.
- Analyze the donor restricted funds and prepare a monthly report that shows the movements within these various accounts.
- Respond to inquiries from the President/CEO and other department heads regarding finance related matters. Assist the COO/CFO in the preparation of the Foundation’s annual budget. Maintain an organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions.
- Assist in the preparation of audit schedules for your areas of responsibility, and any other areas assigned by the COO/CFO.
- Responsible for preparation of schedules for annual audit
- All other tasks and duties assigned by COO/CFO.
- Represent CBCF on important committees and task forces (internal and external).
- Effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Complete all responsibilities for other duties and projects as assigned.
Required Special Skills
- Effective communication of the finance and accounting department deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Good oral and written communication and presentation skills.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Senior Staff Accountant must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Senior Staff Accountant.
- Knowledge: Requires a BA/BS in Accounting preferred; Five years prior experience in the accounting/financial reporting field preferred. General understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Experience with governmental/non-profit accounting principles and procedures. Must be PC proficient and experienced with accounting systems. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required. Must possess the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced work environment with attention to detail and accuracy. The candidate must have experience dealing with specialized accounting work required to maintain the Foundation’s general ledger.
- Skills and Abilities: Experience using Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge or similar accounting software is required. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience using Smartsheet or other project management software is helpful. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform a variety of tasks; and each essential duty satisfactorily. This position requires exceptional attention to detail; as well as precise written and oral communication skills.
- Physical Requirements: Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, strict deadlines, and ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities.