This position is closed.
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment and the Environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Director, Strategic Events plays a pivotal role in the execution of high-profile and high-visibility foundation events and programs. The Director will work alongside the Vice President, Strategic Events to drive all live and virtual event engagement efforts for the organization. In addition, he/she will ensure staff are adequately informed to produce and execute quality events.
The ideal candidate must be a forward-thinking strategist and a tactician who is able to prioritize and produce in a fast-paced environment. A successful candidate will possess a deep technical knowledge of event planning and event execution. The candidate must be flexible and dependable and have a strong logistics, technology, and project management background with stellar writing and editing skills. Strong knowledge of event website and registration site creation and project management software will be required in this role. A proven display of team leadership qualities is a must and experience developing leaders through professional development.
- Reports to: Vice President, Strategic Events
- Directly Supervises: Sr. Event Manager and Event Manager
- Indirectly Supervises: Event Vendors and consultants.
- Type of Supervision Received: Direct to Minimal
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with the following departments: Resource Development, Center for Policy Analysis and Research, Marketing and Communications Department, National Racial Equity Initiative, Congressional Relations, and Leadership Institute.
- External Relationships: Venues and vendors
A. Essential Functions
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams including staff, consultants, vendors, and other stakeholders to foster a seamless operation with keen attention to detail, communication, transparency, and cohesion.
- Execute strategic event strategy, create, and oversee production schedules, facilitate production meetings and vendor/staff updates, and participate in site visits as required.
- Deliver flawless event execution and stakeholder engagement with colleagues, vendors, and internal/external stakeholders. Work closely with the event team to plan virtual, hybrid and in-person conferences, special events, policy forums, or summits with attention to budget management and cost effectiveness.
- General logistics responsibilities include (but are not limited to): vaccination verification management, speaker/panelist management, vendor support, virtual platform and user experience design, registration support, guest list management and invitation processes, live and pre-recorded production scheduling, visual asset management for virtual events in addition to site selection, session location assignments, food and beverage, signage, decor, travel/transportation and freight coordination, and the briefing and participation of event participants.
- With direction from VP, Strategic Events, identify and negotiate contracts with potential vendors related to delivery of service/products for above named areas for several events.
- Oversee event registration vendor(s) and associated technology platforms, websites, and mobile apps. Manage event guests lists and invitation processes.
- Serve as liaison to CBCF Marketing and Communications and Resource Development teams for the innovative creation and placement of event branding and sponsorship assets. Ensure delivery of sponsor value/sponsorship satisfaction. Provide support to Resource Development team to facilitate effective engagement with sponsors and key stakeholders.
- Produce pre-event/post-event/conference reports to include all critical analysis of statistical data collected as well as qualitative input from stakeholders, vendors, staff, guests, attendees, etc. and make recommendations that respond to stakeholder needs and expectations while anticipating future needs.
- Maintain event budgets in collaboration with event clients. Forecast budget variances, balance cost vs. quality and respond accordingly to maintain approved expense levels. Conduct post project/event reconciliation in collaboration with VP, Strategic Events.
- Manage conference and logistical needs for Annual Legislative Conference to include function space assignments for over 100 sessions and events. This includes conducting meetings and serving as a primary point of contact and source of accurate and timely information for session producers, event sponsors and other stakeholders.
- Manage and lead output of conference related interdepartmental work teams. Provide guidance to colleagues on conference related matters to include, but not limited to, catering decisions, venue selection, production orders, etc.
- Develop and/or facilitate recording, and post-production of compelling programmatic and/or entertainment content to design best in class events and conferences in live settings or virtual platforms.
- Ensure Distribution of run of show, talking points and/or scripts to all program participants and participate in pre-production meetings and trainings. Produce participant briefing books/documents and conduct participant briefing for scripted event participants in collaboration with MarCom.
- Manage and execute programming and logistical needs from start to finish and work alongside CBCF’s Center for Policy Analysis and Research to develop or facilitate the development of event programmatic content for live and virtual events throughout the CBCF event season.
- Facilitate office hours and meetings with internal and external partners to ensure all conference details are finalized, timelines/deadlines are communicated, and questions answered.
- Manages all aspects of exhibit management for a mid-sized show of over 100,000 total square feet of exhibit hall space. Contribute to innovative concepts to attract and maintain new exhibitors for the purpose of increasing the size of the ALC Exhibit Showcase and draw attendee traffic into the exhibit hall.
- Coordinate engagement with internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Facilitate responses from stakeholder groups using evaluations/surveys.
- Manage or co-manage events/special projects during evening, weekends and holidays as requested or assigned.
- Produce quarterly and post-event reports to evaluate outcomes relative to established goals.
- Work with Marketing/Communications department on event and conference related marketing and communications needs.
B. Additional Functions
- Ability to effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Ability to effectively manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
- Oversee and execute event websites and registration sites for all events. Ensure accurate and consistent attendee details captured for organization.
- Responsible for other duties and projects as assigned.
C. Required Special Skills
- Effective communication of Strategic Events deliverables to a variety of constituents and stakeholders across a variety of mediums (internal and external).
- Ability to effectively negotiate contracts and proposals, with consultants and vendors, for the maximum benefit of the CBCF.
- Proven project management skills and experience in designing, managing, and delivering high quality projects on time.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in a range of formats, including briefings, reports, and presentations.
- Proven team leadership qualities including people management, diplomacy, tact, motivation, and accountability.
D. Technology Skills
- Advanced proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Forms, Planner, Outlook, Access, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Able to update, manage and create production schedules in Monday.com.
- Proficient skills in Adobe, Cadmium, ExpoCad, Social Tables to manage floor plan creation and updates.
- Canva, production and content editing experience required.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Director must successfully deliver all tasks to which he/she has been assigned with exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders. Incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state, and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Director.
- Knowledge: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. / B.S.) from a four-year college or university; and a minimum of 5 years of progressive related experience and/or training in leading large-scale city-wide events with proven results, effective leadership, and management skills. Certified Meetings Professional (CMP), Certified in Exhibition Management (CEM), Certified Special Events Professional (CSEP) or Digital Event Strategist (DES) designations strongly preferred. Expert Experience in event planning, exhibition management and project management required. Must demonstrate extraordinary customer service and problem-solving skills. Requires experience with directing high profile stakeholders and managing multiple diverse priorities. Proven track record of success in planning and executing a major public policy conference in a business, agency or nonprofit setting is desired. An advanced degree in business management, financial planning or strategic management is a plus.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Advanced skills in the design of registration, exhibit, and virtual technology platforms. Advance proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Access, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Forms, Planner. Proficient skills required in Adobe, PowerPoint, Cadmium CD, ExpoCad, Social Tables, Monday.com, Canva or other CAD/diagramming solutions. Production and content editing experience required.
- Skills and Abilities: This position requires a disciplined work ethic with accountability and ongoing follow-through. Exceptional written and oral communication skills; must be able to multi-task and work well with a variety of people in a fast-paced/ever-changing environment. Must demonstrate extraordinary customer care and strong problem-solving skills to respond to a number of end users with sound judgment. This position requires initiative, particular attention to details, proven management and leadership skills, strong relationship management skills, solid planning and organizational skills, exceptional negotiating abilities. Must have excellent communication skills and a positive, team-oriented approach. Strong contract negotiating skills required. Exhibit management experience is a plus. Must be able to work evenings, weekends or holidays based on the needs of the event/project.
- Physical Requirements: Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines, ability to work long hours, weekends, and moderate travel with little advanced notice. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities. The ability to handle a significant amount of stress is an essential function of this position.