This position is closed.
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Incorporated (CBCF) is a small non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global Black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment, Civic Engagement, and other issues impacting the global Black community. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
CBCF is seeking a dynamic leader to join its strategic events team. The Vice President, Strategic Events will provide leadership, direction, and management of the events department, and strategic plans for all events and stakeholder engagement. The VP is responsible for building CBCF’s reputation for high performance and results through executional excellence; stakeholder engagement; and high caliber strategic events. This position creates the atmosphere for CBCF to educate the public as a critical part of its mission.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the VP will provide oversight for all strategic events and production. This position requires a results-oriented ambassador with exceptional communication and relationship building experience to partner with a myriad of CBCF stakeholders, vendors and partners to further advance the organization’s mission as well as drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. Responsibilities include developing departmental plans for innovation, revenue growth, operational improvements and maintaining collaborative partnerships and ongoing engagement. This leader will own the success of the CBCF events calendar and ensure that all stakeholder requirements are managed through flawless execution and delivery.
- Reports to: President and CEO
- Directly Supervises: Director, Strategic events
- Indirectly Supervises: Senior Managers, Event Manager, and Event Coordinator Consultant
- Type of Supervision Received: Minimal supervision
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with the President and CEO, Resource Development, Finance, Programs, Center for Policy Analysis and Research, Marketing and Communications, and Human Resources Department to ensure all internal stakeholder needs are considered and met for executional excellence.
- External Relationships: This position will interact with CBCF donors, vendors and supporters, members of Congress and their staff as well as other elected officials, CBCF Board of Directors, key executives, attendees, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF priorities.
A. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Responsible for overall strategic vision and planning and of all events, including conferences, fundraisers, celebrations and cultural events.
- Partner with management team to identify strategic objectives, creative direction, budget planning, vendor management, or process improvements necessary to maximize stakeholder satisfaction and engagement.
- Manage event team and coordinate production; supervise the delegation, planning, coordination, and logistical decisions related to all aspect of varying events.
- Direct cultivation of relationships with all stakeholders. Ensure timelines and deadlines are met; and contractual obligations and organizational policies and procedures are maintained.
- Produce/oversee run of events and/or talking points to include key points of review /approval by event client; resulting in the final distribution to program participants.
- Manage and lead output of event related internal/external work teams. Ensure proper partnerships with vendors/consultants to minimize redundancy and maximize return. Ensure sufficient staff and volunteers to maintain required staffing levels for event(s).
- Develop and manage conference/event budget in collaboration with event client; reconcile expenses and provide regular reporting on expenditures and future cost analysis. Forecast budget variances and respond accordingly to maintain approved expense levels. Conduct post project / event reconciliation with accounting department in collaboration with client. Provide recommendations for cost savings or efficiencies for current and future events.
- Execute and manage the RFP/RFQ process for conference/event vendors. Evaluate, recommend, and negotiate contracts; and manage vendor relationships and performance. Conduct periodic review and evaluation of the RFP process to implement improvements, best practices, and greater service value.
- Review invoices for payment; and conduct other duties and projects as assigned.
B. Required Special Skills
- CMP required with a minimum of 10 years of progressive demonstrated work experience
- Proven history of success in delivering large scale, city-wide conferences and/or high-profile events on time within budget, and with flawless execution.
- Experience managing talent negotiations including artist riders, ethics agreements, talent releases and technical production.
- Intensive experience with hybrid and fully virtual programming and production.
- Previous senior leadership experience with ability to lead, manage, develop and hold staff accountable.
- Collaborative interpersonal skills and experience working with high profile leader clients and stakeholder groups.
- Understanding of the user and attendee experience through invitations, registration, mobile app usage and overall engagement with event programs.
- Effective oral and written communication including preparing and disseminating briefings, reports and presentation skills.
- Experience with the White House, US Secret Service, & US Capitol Police strongly preferred.
- Ability to work evenings, long hours and weekends.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Vice President of Strategic Events.
- Knowledge: A Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university, with a minimum of 10 years’ progressive demonstrated experience in leading large-scale city-wide events with proven results and effective leadership and management skills. CMP certification required. Requires experience with directing high profile stakeholders and managing multiple diverse priorities. Proven track record of success in planning and executing a major public policy conference in a business, agency or nonprofit setting is desired. CSEP and CEM, or equivalent certification, preferred. An advanced degree in business management, financial planning or strategic management is a plus.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Advanced skills in all Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Access, Word, Excel, Adobe, PowerPoint, and Project Management tools.
- Skills and Abilities: This position requires a disciplined work ethic with accountability and ongoing follow-through. Proven ability to plan and manage a conference budget of $2M – $5M. Ability to drive innovation and strategic planning to leverage new partnerships and forge varied relationships. Attention to detail and ability to proofread and edit is required. Must demonstrate extraordinary customer care and strong problem-solving skills to respond to a number of end users with sound judgement. Ability to effectively manage and balance myriad responsibilities with capacity to deliver against the organization’s goals and objectives Ability to effectively collaborate with staff, consultants, and vendors to facilitate conferences, large scale events and related projects.
- Physical Requirements: Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vison to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups and over the telephone. Applicant must be confident and reliable with the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines, ability to work long hours, weekends and moderate travel. Ability to produce and be flexible in a multi-priority, high demanding environment is essential.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references until the position is filled, using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls accepted.