Position Class: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Date Prepared: January 2024
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global Black community by developing leaders, informing policy, and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are Education, Public Health, Economic Empowerment, and Criminal Justice. Applicants may visit the website at www.cbcfinc.org, to view more information on CBCF programs and initiatives.
The Program Coordinator plays a vital role in CBCF’s mission to develop leaders. The incumbent will be responsible for day-to-day administration, coordination, and implementation for the Foundation’s internship program, working under the direct supervision of the Senior Director, Leadership Institute. He/she will serve as a leader and mentor for all incoming, current, and former interns. The incumbent will be responsible for the administration and coordination of activities and events for the program and develop sustainable mechanisms to ensure the execution of high-caliber programs. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for working with the Senior Director, Leadership Institute to evaluate program’s efficacy for participants and provide feedback ways to improve the program, as necessary. In addition, the Program Coordinator will also assist with the coordination of professional development opportunities for the young professionals accepted in the CBCF Fellowship Programs, while collaborating with other departments to effectively drive the organization’s mission forward. The ideal candidate for this position should be professional, energetic, engaging, and passionate about fostering the personal, educational, and leadership development skills for students of color
- Reports to: Senior Director, LI
- Directly Supervises: Interns
- Indirectly Supervises: Congressional Fellows
- Type of Supervision Received: Minimal to little supervision
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination with the President’s Office, Marketing & Communications Director, Resource Development
- External Relationships: Alumni of the internship Program, Professional Development providers
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Partner with the Senior Director, Leadership Institute and Program Manager to ensure smooth onboarding of interns, to include instructing, tracking progress, maintaining accurate records, and troubleshooting
- Participate in Leadership Institute meetings and provide feedback on how to improve the Internship experience
- Assist and lead required Leadership Institute events as necessary, i.e., Intern Mock Congress, Intern Bill Projects, Fellow Closing Presentations, etc.
- Assist in co-facilitating weekly professional development sessions and other CBCF intern Events
- Conduct interviews with prospective interns and provide feedback on his/her suitability for the internship
- Schedule meetings as necessary, in collaboration with the Program Manager, Leadership Institute
- Partner with the Senior Director, Leadership Institute and the Program Manager in ensuring internal management systems are current with the correct information
- Respond to intern cohort concerns as they arise, particularly those that occur after standard working hours
- Effectively assist in creating and/or executing effective program tracking management systems, i.e., intern check-ins and the submission of weekly Intern assignments
- Participate in quality improvement activities to improve the student experience in Leadership Institute programs
- Work collaboratively with other teams to identify and meet internship needs organization-wide
- Coordinate COVID-19 protocols/expectation of the intern cohort, to include coordination of intern isolation when positive test cases occur (may require after-hours coordination)
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to effectively collaborate with staff and consultants in connection with large scale events and projects.
- Ability to effectively manage and balance administrative responsibilities with capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY:
The Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders internally and externally. The Program Coordinator must follow and adhere to federal, state, and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional, and objective manner.
- Knowledge: A bachelor’s degree in education, educational administration, political science, public policy or a related field is preferred, with a minimum of three years of proven relevant experience or related work. Experience with educational programming and/or administration is a plus. Requires previous experience in a fast-paced, high-profile environment. A strong candidate will also have a proficiency in developing surveys and analyzing survey data.
- Skills and Abilities:
- Prior office/administrative experience with strong organizational and project management skills
- Superior analytical, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to maintain highly sensitive personal information confidential
- Ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision, strong attention to detail, manage multiple priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work well independently or as a team player within and across departments.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Highly proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and overall aptitude for technology and cloud-based software are required. Proficiency with telecommunications devices such as iPads, iPhone and/or Androids preferred. Experience with education or scholarship software is helpful.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines, ability to work evening and weekend events and/or off-hours as needed. Occasional local and regional/national travel for presentations, meetings, and visits, Frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds. Must work well under pressure and be able to manage simultaneous priorities and deliverables.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, salary requirements and three professional references using CBCF’s online employment portal only. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Position is open until filled. No phone calls accepted.